Stihl 038 Super....Piston Damaged?

Andy5600

Hello All,

Out of curiosity decided to have a look at the piston on my 038 super when giving it a good clean, running alright with no smoke. compression is quite good also.

It appeared to be a bit scored and felt scored when i got my finger on it can anyone tell me if i need a new barrel & piston and what size this should be for this model?

Have attached a pic...or tried to as i`m hopeless at that.

Thanks,

P1010351.jpg.c55942200dcb46dd0c06f78390b594dd.jpg

Edited by Andy5600

That piston is well stuffed. You may be able to save the barrel by removing the aluminium build up from the piston. Tons of info on this in Spud's "What's on your bench today" thread. Remember to fit a Meteor piston as replacement, they are as good as the originals.

Hello,

thanks for that info, been hunting around on the web and not having much luck

with meteor piston etc but found this Stihl 038, MS380 Parts - Stihl 038 Cylinder & Piston Assembly

Not used this place before so not sure, would it be wise to use stihl piston rings?

Without taking it off and having a look i may be inclined to think the barrel might be in a state also, but i cant as my torx key is not long enough.

Never changed a piston/barrel on a saw is it easy? last ones i did was on my RD250lc back in the day

Hello,

thanks for that info, been hunting around on the web and not having much luck

with meteor piston etc but found this Stihl 038, MS380 Parts - Stihl 038 Cylinder & Piston Assembly

Not used this place before so not sure, would it be wise to use stihl piston rings?

Without taking it off and having a look i may be inclined to think the barrel might be in a state also, but i cant as my torx key is not long enough.

Never changed a piston/barrel on a saw is it easy? last ones i did was on my RD250lc back in the day

RD250LC.....nice, that makes us from the same era:thumbup:

The piston is toast, if you can salvage the originnal cylinder it is worth it but also not too easy for a complete novice. GHS are a good supplier, the weak points on many aftermarket pistons are the rings and circlips. If you buy the kit, check the old piston rings will fit before purchasing new.

The circlips can be used off the original piston can be used but make sure they are not deformed and are fitted correctly on the new piston.

Doing the job isn't too hard but like said before, make sure the reason for failure is investigated or you may just fry your new kit. A pressure and vacuum check will normally be used to make sure there are no airleaks and check the carb and fuel pipe are in good shape!