Getting the correct ear defenders

Lancstree

I've just started wearing plugs instead of muffs on my climbing lid. Using 3m ones on a cord that are tied to my lid. They are 33snr I think.

Brilliant for saws but not so good with the chipper, quite but it seems to be the tone of the chipper that there not good with rather than the loudness?

From a climbing point of view there great with googles and no stuff sticking out of the lid to get caught on stuff:thumbup:

I'm as bad as the next man when it comes to hearing and tinnitus so it's just a case of stopping it getting worse rather than preventing it :laugh1:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think (after 20 yrs in the music industry and 16 yrs on the tools) that its certain frequencies you need to reduce rather then the overall noise level. The Threshold of pain is about 120 decibels so a lot of equipment, saws, chippers get to about that. I use of course chainsaw helmet which blocks out 90% of sound and Lidl ear defenders with FM Radio on rest of the time, I can still hear people call to me with those on whilst saving my hearing. Anyway at my age I am selectively deaf..... whats that dear shopping ....

Been in arb a couple of years and ive only ever used the Standard sordin ear defenders which came with my petzil climbing helmet which are 26 or 27 snr.

had no problems with noise when working with chippers,stump grinders , big saws etc. but when the time comes to replace or get a new pair of ear defenders for whatever reason will probably spend an extra few £ to get some higher ones e.g chipper spec.

I bought peltor ones specified for jump jets. Have abused my hearing in the past working on big generators. Now 47 and have tinnitus . Recently had a hearing test and found a small problem in exactly the frequency you would expect of someone working in heavy engineering. Apparently I have trouble with the shhh sound like shopping. But I can't hear the words decorating, car cleaning, grass cutting or house work either. I can how ever still hear a ring pull from half a mile away.

I just swutched to the Peltor X4, with the hi-viz green bits. It was a drop in SNR rating from my last pair but felt there was an improvement in overall noise reduction due to a better fitment. Overall I really like them but I know Peltor isn't such a popular/common brand in the UK

Quick point to note on the disposable inner ear type defenders, whether they be the yellow foam ones or rubbber on a string. You've got to keep them as clean as you can, which can be difficult if they are attached to your helmet or in a pocket full of saw dust. failure to do so can lead to nasty ear infections, especially if they are in and out all day getting grubby with gloves etc etc....