old school

stihlmadasever

Unless its a seasoned quick climber then highly unlikely, even then still unlikely. I've always said if I hurt myself up a tree that bad I can't get myself down then i'm probably screwed.

Interesting, I did my refresher with the fire brigade, they said we would be a helpless cause even if they were on site in some instances.

Makes ya think!

Sorry for the derail.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ATTACH]189945[/ATTACH][ATTACH]189946[/ATTACH][ATTACH]189947[/ATTACH]

Here's a couple of pics of mine. :)

I'll try and dig some more stuff out tomorrow

do i have to have a cord with eyes or would that work with knots on a length of the right diameter prussuk cord? is it 10mm? 8mm?

think i better give this hitch climber a go

To be honest it's been a while since I climbed with a hitch and am not familiar with anything that's come out in the past 2 years. Diameter wise I would always use 8mm. It's worth remembering that what one person recommends won't necessarily work for you, every cord acts differently in different ropes and different knots.

A basic rule of thumb though, soft cord runs best of harder rope and vice versa.

My preference of know was a valdotain with 3 wraps and 2 braids

13mm rope usually 10mm cord 11.5ish rope usually 8mm, I'm sorry if my post earlier offended anyone, wasn't my intention, just met so many older climbers who constantly tell me there really fast "with a prussic" and feel like they have to tell me. at the end of the day it isn't a world crisis like poverty or aids so I did over react a little lol

I think it certainly depends on the size of tree and the type of work you do.

Personally I hated the prussic knot full stop. I used to use a klemheist as it was quicker to tie and did t bind up half as much as a prussic.

I switched to a VT and climbed on that for a long time now I tend to climb SRT. I think if the tree lends itself to climbing limbs then the prussic can be effective. If you have 10-20 foot sometimes between limbs then getting away from a prussic is a no brainer.

Why is there a breed of stubborn "real men" climbers out there, Prussic are horrible, fact. Yes you can do it, yes there cheap, yes it's less gear, and yes you should know how to do it if your stuck, but people wouldn't invent "shiny" things to make us slower or crapper. And for people who say "I can get the tree down faster than any other climber ever, in the history of climbers on this planet with my Prussic, grow up, your elbows will fall off and you won't be climbing very fast for long. "Drops the mic" I'm finished lol

'Mic dropped' made me chuckle. Very dramatic James 👍🏻

Daniel