Mahoe circular mill

irish surgeon

I did consider getting one of these until I made a mock- up of the unit to test manoeuvrability. (I had concerns already at this point) . Anyway total length including drawbar was 8.2 m with axles placed just beyond centre, as you're also in west Cork you know what the small farm roads gateways and farmyards are like for 90° turns and tight accesses. The mockup couldn't get up my twisty lane without riding up into the fuschia hedges and stone ditches and grounded out frequently. All in all it was just too long for this area and couldn't be shortened without major engineering. - I didn't buy one !!

Shaun

If ya going static why start with a mobile mill? Surely much more efficient and adaptable fixed mills would do this better and without manual works involved with any mobile set up. Seems a curious route to go down especially with the purchase cost quoted last year € 24750 shipped to port of cork. You could do a lot with a big circular and resaws ,or band mills for this.

Shaun

It doesnt really matter what saw you have the way to make any income milling comes down to efficient layout and handle the timber as little as possible. Dont let it touch the ground til you've finished working it - you'll only have to pick it up again. -experience