Leyland Hedges and Tools.

rcarolina

Hello,

Sorry in advance if question appears a bit dumb. I've cut loads of hedges in my time but I now need to lower a well established Leyland hedge by at least 1M. It's actually in my garden and I want to try to give my new neighbour a bit more light - I'm happy with my cutting technique generally but I'm after any advice as to how to handle the top. It's pretty much dead inside and I know you can go too hard and end up with a real ugly beast. It's flat on top, so should I start in the middle and work out or just go for a height one end and try to keep it straight all the way along. Any other tips most welcome. I've got a decent platform ladder for getting above the hedge.

Finally - has anyone got the Husky long reach hedge trimmer and is it any good? I've only used the Stihl in the past.

Cheers,

Dave.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a Husqvarna long reach hedge cutter and find it very good . On the faces if you cut back past the green it will not recover . Reducing the top is ok but it will sprout new growth which eventually makes it kinda top heavy . I presume you mean Leylandii ?

I have a Husqvarna long reach hedge cutter and find it very good . On the faces if you cut back past the green it will not recover . Reducing the top is ok but it will sprout new growth which eventually makes it kinda top heavy . I presume you mean Leylandii ?

i cut the one at the end of the garden back to the trunk almost, well past the green and 3 years later they are green once more.

Depending on the height you should be able to leave enough foliage so you can't see the dead stubs in the middle, I often take the stubs in the middle lower than the foliage so there's even less chance of spotting them.

Where you start can vary but I'd normally start on the right if possible so I can cut with my stronger right hand and chuck with the left.

Pics help

The hedge will look horrible for a long while but as light will be getting into the heart of it the green skin round the outside will start to put some growth inwards. After a few years this will all meet up to give you a green top but don't stand on it as its origins will still be at the outside of the hedge.

Long reach hedgey... look at Echo.

Unless it's grown through through from the other side

yes lots of growth has come from the other side but it's fairly good a growing from my side of the fence.

i am fairly sure it's leylandii as there is a lawsons close by and the foliage looks different as do the cones which are nearly and inch across...

yes lots of growth has come from the other side but it's fairly good a growing from my side of the fence.

i am fairly sure it's leylandii as there is a lawsons close by and the foliage looks different as do the cones which are nearly and inch across...

If it's sprouting from "old wood" and your not sure if it's leylandii or lawsons it's probably a thuja 😊

Jon dropped off that cotoneaster yet?