Ride on mower won't cut long/damp grass

spandit

That one you linked us to was only £1350 inc vat....wasn't it?:confused1:

Ah, yes, but the one the hire company has is the more powerful model

How big an area? Could you not pay a local farmer to come with a topper then keep it in check yourself afterwards?

Not really, it's about 1/2 acre but surrounding a barn and an orchard so too narrow in places for a tractor.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Since no one else has suggested this, have you tried cutting 1/2 swaths instead of full swaths?. I own and use a Snapper mower with a 28" blade and I regularly mow grass 4" tall with a 9.5 HP engine. Our grass is very tough, unforgiving. Your mower really should not have any trouble cutting what your having to deal with. Are you only mowing once a month or Two for the turf to be that tall?. If you can find them I would also suggest a Gator blade for your mower. This type blade cuts and chops up the clipping very efficiently.

easy-lift guy

Since no one else has suggested this, have you tried cutting 1/2 swaths instead of full swaths?. I own and use a Snapper mower with a 28" blade and I regularly mow grass 4" tall with a 9.5 HP engine. Our grass is very tough, unforgiving. Your mower really should not have any trouble cutting what your having to deal with. Are you only mowing once a month or Two for the turf to be that tall?. If you can find them I would also suggest a Gator blade for your mower. This type blade cuts and chops up the clipping very efficiently.

easy-lift guy

Hi Ted . I suggested doing 1/2 a stripe but he says he has tried that . :001_smile:

One of the most questions that I get asked , in sales of ride on mowers, is "does it cut in the wet".

There are several things that you should be watching for when cutting grass and with a 33" machine with a 13hp engine is limited to small gardens with not a lot of height to cut.

In horsepower terms , petrol rideons range from approx 7hp to 26hp with the better power being 16hp and above.

The blade should cut grass at the front of the deck so the deck should be set slightly lower at the front.

Cut grass averages around 1 1/2 inches height after its been cut and most rideon decks go up to 4 inches height of cut. So the deck should only be cutting 2 1/2 inches of grass.

When the deck is cutting it should be moving up and down slightly so as to "gulp" air to aid the airflow under the deck and to stop the blade from blocking.

The decks must be kept absolutely clean in order to stop the old grass blocking on the underside and restricting the flow.Some decks have deck wash facilities fitted to help this.

If you have a friend who has another mower for you to try or a local JD dealer, ask them for a demo of an X series machine to see how they do the above.