New Alpine and Timber Trailer

twsread

Morning all,

I'm looking to get an alpine tractor and timber trailer to allow us to start extracting from a few small woodland sites in Buckinghamshire.

It's all very small scale work (<50t a year) on SSSI sites which means we're limited to low impact kit and access only during dry periods.

I'm looking at the AGT850TR and COT30-470 3t timber trailer combination at the moment, from Riko. But I am new to forestry work and was hoping to get some advice!

I was thinking of putting 300/65-12 tyres on the trailer along with a crane winch and band tracks as we're on heavy clay and anything to spread the weight will be useful!

Anyone's thoughts on this setup would be really appreciated along with anything else to consider.

Thanks all!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For under 50t a year would you not be better hiring someone in? You are looking at 30k worth of kit from the list.

Hi Richy,

Contracting the work out was our original plan but I've got external funding to get equipment which could be used in a number of small woods around the area. As these sites are SSSIs we have the limited access times and the feeling was that if we have our own kit we are more flexible and able to get out to site when the conditions are good.

The tractor will also be doing some flail mowing at other times in the year so will get more use than just the extraction.

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1441377250.109696.jpg.83b45537b708e9a84070d8389226a64c.jpg

That's my set up. The thing I found was when contracting I could not get enough on the trailer to make it viable for every one so I made bolster extent ions. If you do get a riko don't get brakes on the trailer I have them on mine and you can't move the axel forward because the pipes fowl good tractor though awesome crane will lift a lot for the size of crane and also has a very light foot print. The only thing I would not get for sssi is band tracks as turning might make them cut in to much

• 2 weeks later...
Morning all,

I'm looking to get an alpine tractor and timber trailer to allow us to start extracting from a few small woodland sites in Buckinghamshire.

It's all very small scale work (<50t a year) on SSSI sites which means we're limited to low impact kit and access only during dry periods.

I'm looking at the AGT850TR and COT30-470 3t timber trailer combination at the moment, from Riko. But I am new to forestry work and was hoping to get some advice!

I was thinking of putting 300/65-12 tyres on the trailer along with a crane winch and band tracks as we're on heavy clay and anything to spread the weight will be useful!

Anyone's thoughts on this setup would be really appreciated along with anything else to consider.

Thanks all!

I've just purchased the 5 tonne version from Riko along with a 71hp Carraro tractor. The crane winch (on remote) is a great bit of kit and really extends the effective reach of the crane, though you need to be careful to put the grab on the floor before using it to pull any sort of weight. Still getting to grips with the kit ( I'm a novice) but very, very happy at this point. Riko after sales care is beyond good !

I've just purchased the 5 tonne version from Riko along with a 71hp Carraro tractor. The crane winch (on remote) is a great bit of kit and really extends the effective reach of the crane, though you need to be careful to put the grab on the floor before using it to pull any sort of weight. Still getting to grips with the kit ( I'm a novice) but very, very happy at this point. Riko after sales care is beyond good !

Ive got a 9 acre thinning job you can come and practice on:001_tongue:

Ive got a 9 acre thinning job you can come and practice on:001_tongue:

Cheers Mike ! I've got a fair few acres of my own that I am desperate to get on but the Mrs objected to the new "pointless toy" and has had other ideas for my evenings and weekends. Torture !

If they are all small sites with short extraction distances, have you thought of a grapple skidder instead? If it's tight woodland and you're new to operating you might cause more damage shunting a forwarding trailer and tractor around than just skidding timber out, and if you have one with a rotator on you can always pick up small bundles and carry out.

Also what Duffryn says is worth noting, a small crane winch or skidding grapple mounted winch will help you a lot.