Spanners

jamesd

A lot of quality tools are made by Danaher in China. Hellfrauds Professional and Draper Expert for two (hence they look the same). Britool and Facom are the same company too, IIRC. Hellfrauds does have the advantage that they are open on Sundays and sell them individually but buying a set will work out much cheaper

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're willing to pay for the best, it's hard to beat Snap-on's Flank Drive® Plus Reversible Ratcheting Combination spanners:

https://store.snapon.com/FLANK-DRIVE-174-PLUS-REVERSIBLE-RATCHETING-COMBINATION-C629584.aspx

I did look at these but at any where from 30 pounds per spanner and a 7 piece set costing over £300 on their website there a bit steep for me!

Have you got a set yourself? what are they like?

I did look at these but at any where from 30 pounds per spanner and a 7 piece set costing over £300 on their website there a bit steep for me!

Have you got a set yourself? what are they like?

I don't personally have those particular ones, but I do have a decent selection of their 'ordinary' Flank Drive combination spanners, and they're nothing short of amazing.

The Flank Drive open ends will often grip and shift damaged stuff that the ring ends are slipping on, and they leave ordinary 'hardware-shop' spanners in the dust regarding fit and finish.

They also look gorgeous and feel fantastic in the hand :biggrin:

A good friend of mine has an even worse case of Heavy Metal Disease than I do, and he has the Reversible Ratcheting Combination spanners linked above.

I've used them in his place and they're every bit as good.

The rachet mechanism is crisp and precise, and the direction lever is nice and unobtrusive but still changes over easily when required.

They're fully rebuildable, but he's never had to repair one yet, and he uses them a lot.

These thing ARE expensive and won't suit everyone's situation, so if someone is prone to breaking or loosing tools or if 'others' have access to the toolbox, I'd be slow to recommend them.

If you're a one-man-band with full control of access to and use of your tools, I'd suggest buying one or two of the smaller 'cheaper' (relatively speaking :biggrin:) ones and giving them a try.

Hi, I have the snap on set they are bloody brilliant well worth getting hold of your local snap on man having a chat see if there are any on offer or offers coming up. When I bought mine I got the hole set for around £155 on special I'll post a pic later on when I'm home.

Think they worked out same place as a halfords set when on offer.

Bob

Hi, I have the snap on set they are bloody brilliant well worth getting hold of your local snap on man having a chat see if there are any on offer or offers coming up. When I bought mine I got the hole set for around £155 on special I'll post a pic later on when I'm home.

Bob

Unfortunately i rarely see any snap on vans round my way! other wise at that price i think i would buy them!

I dont think you can rely on these ratchet spanners because they are so much thicker around the hex end and wont fit on the head of a bolt that is in a tight spot.. Time again I have started to use them but always seem to end up with an ordinary spanner to finish the job.That said they are a handy addition.

The britool , snapon and flexi head ones have been trouble free but the draper expert one on the right is the only one left out of the set and that has a broken lever. You get what you pay for.

Bob

image.jpg1_zpsfjqlp6on.jpg

Bob

Normally. As much as I enjoyed using Snap On spanners in the past, I would pass them by on cost alone, since Halfords Pro offer the same replacement lifetime warranty.

Snap On for Halfords money however, that's a no brainer! :thumbup1:

Snap on for halfords prices i would obviously buy all the time!

Does anyone still use king dick tools? They always use to be very highly recommended, I don't know how good the new stuff is though, only ever used their older tools borrowed from my grandad!!!! They were a real pleasure to use, always seem well made and fitted in your hand nicely.