Billets or logs

Bri

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I reckon the 1.0m long billet is;

(i) Optimium for manual handling, a worthwhile "lift" without being too heavy.

(ii) The 1.0m length , when stacked also allows for easy volumetric measurment.

(iii) The 1.0m length also allows for fast stacking in a stable pile.

Anyway since this was/is the Germanic approach, it must be the optimal solution.

Edited by difflock

Billets are fine if you want to have little machinery and cheap manpower but they are so slow to make and later cut. Maybe a good option if you can only get oversized timber. Don't know what quality timber you get but I seem to get a lot of misshapen stuff so it make lousy billets and then there are all the end logs to deal with unless you can get wood in perfect lengths. Takes me 25-30min to split a m3 of billets and nearly the same again to cut to length. On the processor the same wood goes straight to logs in 20-25 min. Billets do dry well and can be stored cheaply stacked on pallets. Pros and cons to both but I am firmly in the logs camp and not bothered making any billets this season.

I use to do billits when running a splitter and saw bench. Use to work well. Brother use to be on the saw cutting cord to 1m id them split i to billets and stack on a table ready to dry or ru straight through saw bench. We could easily do a 1.2 cube load in 25 - 30mins. But was labour intensive.

I use to do billits when running a splitter and saw bench. Use to work well. Brother use to be on the saw cutting cord to 1m id them split i to billets and stack on a table ready to dry or ru straight through saw bench. We could easily do a 1.2 cube load in 25 - 30mins. But was labour intensive.

HI BEN when labour intensive how long to 1;5sq/mt then thanks jon :thumbup:

Thanks for your thoughts

I personally found billets more time consuming than just ringing and splitting

The smaller stuff fine goes through processor

Just last year I carried on cutting in winter too and found logs started to mould off and they were kept outside too.

Wondering if billets would do that as more gaps for air flow

Regards bri