Our kindling business suddenly mad busy ?

gensetsteve

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I completely understand and would love everyone to buy local but unfortunately most people look at prices. That's why aldi are doubling turnover year on year because they are cheap. Unfortunately A very small proportion of the population care about buying local that's why nothing is going to change or get better. buying local isn't usually competitive on price so people are not going to buy it.

I'm just trying to be realistic!

I get it the same with firewood, had a woman call from 5 miles away the other day asking if we could price match Luxury Wood on their kiln dried hardwood nets at £2.95inc vat per net!! That's less than my trade price to shops!

I completely understand and would love everyone to buy local but unfortunately most people look at prices. That's why aldi are doubling turnover year on year because they are cheap. Unfortunately A very small proportion of the population care about buying local that's why nothing is going to change or get better. buying local isn't usually competitive on price so people are not going to buy it.

I'm just trying to be realistic!

I get it the same with firewood, had a woman call from 5 miles away the other day asking if we could price match Luxury Wood on their kiln dried hardwood nets at £2.95inc vat per net!! That's less than my trade price to shops!

Yes I think most people realise that. We all shop around especially on large purchases. But the country seems to buy foreign firewood to save 5 % at times. If I am spending £100 I often don't worry if the local business is 15-20% more expensive.

The owner of our chippy asked for a price on 2 cu metres of firewood came to the yard to check it and asked us to price match a crate from Latvia which was ten pounds cheaper. I refused 2 weeks later he comes round looking for a free chopping block because the stuff is too big. I now get my fish and chips elsewhere.

Our expensive greengrocer used to take £10 a week of me for veg. When he changed his kindling supplier he went elsewhere so now I get my veg in aldi while buying frozen cod. You can see where this is going.

I think the problem is obvious the solution will be hard to find