Beware the M4 conman

the village idiot

Hi Folks,

Just a quick heads up, although I'm sure none of you will be as ridiculously gullible as I was!

I was driving back to Suffolk from Bristol yesterday after a music festival. At the Leigh Delamere services I was approached by a chap with a fuel can who needed a lift back to his broken down land rover.

During the journey he spun a very elaborate and frankly damn impressive story about his unfortunate plight, even receiving calls on his mobile from the Highways Agency.

The upshot of it all is, I trusted him completely and being the absolute naive numpty that I am 'lent' him £250 to get him back on his way.

Doing some research back at home I soon realised I had been conned hook, line and sinker.

He purports to be called Larry Grant from Penzance, but is actually called Paul James and is from Taunton. He has recently been released from prison for conning thousands of pounds from other motorists in exactly the same fashion.

As you can imagine I feel a total Pratt for falling for it, and the money is a very significant amount for me to lose, but he is utterly convincing, especially with my reduced IQ from two days of merriment and metal!

He is known for operating on the M4 in Wiltshire and is well known to the Police there. Might be worth warning any friends or family who might be using that stretch of road. Hopefully before too long he will be back inside where he belongs.

He is average height, slim with short grey hair and a strong West country accent.

TVI.

That's rotten TVI :thumbdown:

Good on you for being the good samaritan :thumbup1:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Beau.

On the bright side, the Policeman collating information on this guy's activities is called Officer Dibble!

Put a smile on my face last night:001_smile:

Hahahaha that's great.

Knowing your sense of humor it's surprising you didn't get yourself in trouble :laugh1:

Thanks Beau.

On the bright side, the Policeman collating information on this guy's activities is called Officer Dibble!

Put a smile on my face last night:001_smile:

You couldn't make it up could you? :laugh1: How on earth did he make it through cop school one wonders?

Seriously, sorry to hear about your misfortune VI