crane mounted on 4x4 pickup ??

Brett

I have had an idea floating about in the back of my mind for a while now.

The idea is to mount a hiab style crane on to the back of a 4x4 pickup, hilux, navara, l200, landy etc. this vehicle would have the rear bed stripped off and be used as a dedicated crane unit only.

download.jpg.c35a886613ad9d474d4250b9263c4d24.jpg

This is the closest thing I can find, but not quite. I would want the crane to be bigger ideally with a reach of 5-6m min.

The questions I have at the moment are:

a) is this even feasible?

b) how big a crane can we mount thinking about vehicle payload wise including stabilisers and associated plumbing etc?

- would we get away with just 2 stabiliser legs or would it need 4?

c) how stable would it be in use?

d) what obvious things have I not thought about yet?

Has this been done before? if not, why?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well if you can mount this on a landy and lift 240kg to 14.5m you should get away with a reasonable size crane, I'd always go for 4 legs.

Thought about something similar with a landy 90 and a nice folding crane so maximising what could go on the trailer.

1440178863251.jpg.bc747b63f1ba494df90ea3036482dcfc.jpg

exactly! I think it was seeing a 90 with a basket on it that sparked the thought process.

Yeah a folding & telescopic crane would be ideal but looked on palfinger website to get an idea of unit weights to see what we could get away with, but no info like that available, plenty on reach etc. but no individual weight of units.

exactly! I think it was seeing a 90 with a basket on it that sparked the thought process.

Yeah a folding & telescopic crane would be ideal but looked on palfinger website to get an idea of unit weights to see what we could get away with, but no info like that available, plenty on reach etc. but no individual weight of units.

Weights are on their website, and all dimensions are in the brochure.

Everything is possible, but the first thing that springs to mind is the folded width of the decent cranes will be sticking outside of your truck by a considerable amount.

Have a look at the Hiab, Hmf and Maxilift cranes and you'll have a good idea about the weight for the size crane you want. They aren't cheap but built simple so getting an older one to revive would be possible. I bought a Hmf 150T myself a few years back and have it on a trailer (max 200kg at 3,5m). I would go with 4 stabilisers for that sort of reach. You'll need a pump or powerpack to run it. These are pretty slow btw, I've got a slightly bigger pump on mine to improve it a bit. Don't know the law there but they probably need to be checked yearly if it's for commercial use. With that kind of reach, you'll probably have a 2 piece boom instead of 1.

There was 1 knocking about up our way a good few years back with a hiab on it which looked very substantial and the bloke used it to lift oil tanks into place off the trailer as could nose in somewhere and lift it over the front into place, always thought a lightweight timber crane like the farma crane Wilson's put on the ifor would be good but not massive reach and could run off a hydraulic pump on the transfer box like my mewp.

Buger, now you've got me thinking again

Some of the best lightweight to dead weight cranes are Bonfiglioli and Pesci, build quality of Bonfig isn't the best imo, our next trailer will most likely have a Pesci.

A few makes have wide outriggers as standard that are an option on some of the more expensive cranes, I would imagine you would need wide outriggers for starters.