Inonotus dryadeus on apple?

TotallyJules

Found this at the base of a bramley apple. The tree is in a raised bed with 3 brackets present. There is gravel on the surface of the bed that has been absorbed by the fruiting body. The fruiting bodies smell of mushrooms and are squidgey. There are areas of dead bark where the bodies are joined to the stem and white mycelium? beneath. The tree is dying back badly with very few of this years leaves left and very small fruit. Just wondered if it could be Inonotus dryadeus? If not, any ideas?

apple.jpg.7e8dc4ff1593571b2abfa436015ea045.jpg

There's 962 records in the FRDBI data base of (Psuedo)Inonotus dryadeus in the UK.

(A fraction of the real number out there, as it's not particularly scarce from my and others experience)

It's not called the oak bracket for nothing, there's about 20 or so of those 962 records that aren't from Quercus species which include ash, beech, horse chestnut, hazel, London plane, alder (and very dubiously pine !)

There is no record of dryadeus on Apple.

I think a lot of those 20 or so records are possibly misidentified, probably being Ganoderma resinaceum and Perenniporia fraxinea.

On the balance of probabilities your example is i think is Ganoderma resinaceum.

Inonotus dryadeus (when forming) has gutation (droplets) which I can't see on your image.

Can you get back to it when it's matured?

If it does turn out to be dryadeus, you should probably contact the herbarium at Kew, as they would be VERY interested.

British Fungi - record details

One of today's jobs was to fell a large Bramley with some old brackets on that had shed a big limb, no idea what they were but large.[ATTACH]188540[/ATTACH][ATTACH]188541[/ATTACH][ATTACH]188542[/ATTACH][ATTACH]188543[/ATTACH]

Look like Polyporus squammosus to me.