Where should I start?

Stoatally

Would recommend cs30/31 and a first aid +f course. Driving license with towing. Then let everyone in your area know you are there when they need an extra pair of hands. Get grafting, learn along the way. Once you've a few years work under your belt I think you will be in a better place to choose a course.

There's an awful lot of folk with a college degree and a romanticised view of the industry.

Would recommend cs30/31 and a first aid +f course. Driving license with towing. Then let everyone in your area know you are there when they need an extra pair of hands. Get grafting, learn along the way. Once you've a few years work under your belt I think you will be in a better place to choose a course.

There's an awful lot of folk with a college degree and a romanticised view of the industry.

That's pretty much my plan. Also looking to do brushcutter / chipper as these seem to only be a day each and relatively cheap.

I'm currently on a short term project with current employer that's due to finish in the next month. I'm going to talk to them about working condensed hours (5 days over 4) or even part time to free up time to get working with people in the area.

My preferred route would be a trainee / apprenticeship in the area - good mix of work, experience, tickets and theory. Happy to take crappy money for the first year or two as well

I'm researching quite a lot!

Ive recently been in a very similar situation to yourself. Still quite young and trying to break into the industry the most efficient way to suit yourself.

I went to college and it turned out to be a bit of a farce. Learned whatever was needed to tick the boxes on the course but it didnt leave me much more employable.

Get your CS30/31 and your chipper ticket and maybe also your CSCS card and learn what you want and need along the way.

I contacted someone at the emploment department at my local council, we had a meeting and she linked me up with local charities and grant giving folk who helped me fund my training. It took me a while to get the ball rolling and make the initial phonecall to arrange a meeting but once you get going it is well plainsailing and well worthwhile!

Ive registered myself self employed and now sub contract to tree surgeons and forestry businesses. Now im making money and im picking up my tickets and buying my own kit to establish my own business.

Best of luck!

I think I'd like to do done theory side, looking into a level 2 online course. There seems to be a choice between an RFS level 2 and an ABC level 2.

I'm currently in the same situation as you, from my understanding you do the abc level 2 + cs30-31-38-39 and chipper tickets photo copy them and email the rfs and they just send you there cert

C30/31 booked in October. Enquiry sent to Capel about the online Level 2 ABC/RFS course.

Waiting to hear back from a couple of places for possible trainee stuff.

Offered 2 days basic experience / groundy work but can't get the time off the day job.

I'm looking into condensing my hours to do 5 days in 4 so I can get a permanent spare day per week. Seems no-one here works weekends so no experience.

I may try a speculative email again when I've done C30/31