Lone working control measures

Stephen Blair

Bolthole mentioned a tourniquet - I just bought one, CAT - (Combat Application Tourniquet) can be applied one-handed, if you drill the procedure. Read up on their use, realistically if you hit an artery with the saw, or a sharp timber splinter, broken bone etc, only the tourniquet will save you. As a buddy to the tourniquet - a 6" Israeli bandage.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have the Viewranger OS mapping software on your phone (Apple or Android) it has a feature called Buddybeacon which can be used to track your whereabouts. Uses GPS so doesn't need a phone signal.

Like the other systems you still need to be able to call for help or have an emergency response procedure set in place. I guess anything is better than nothing.

It must have some sort of phone/data connection to transmit the GPS location, GPS is a recieve only system, it cannot transmit your location.

The app could track your location while you have phone signal or WiFi but it couldn't pinpoint you once you lost it.

I use LoneALERT, costs £115 for a licence covering up to 5 smartphones , plus additional £36 for the 24 hrs monitoring service.

Download app for free.

It's a brilliant app using the gps in the phone, plus other clever magic.

You log in, set a timer in minutes - say 360, give a description of what you're doing & where & press enter. Couldn't be more simpler. The team at LoneALERT are very helpful & will set up a lot of the call logging lists up for you.

Call Adam:

Adam Bottrell

Sales Executive

Telephone: 0121 501 2288

Email: [email protected]

It must have some sort of phone/data connection to transmit the GPS location, GPS is a recieve only system, it cannot transmit your location.

The app could track your location while you have phone signal or WiFi but it couldn't pinpoint you once you lost it.

I contacted Adam this morning and he pretty much confirmed this but he has got a box of tricks that will work, he is sending over the gumph pack so I will try and digest some of it and report back.

Bob

when he was felling it it went wrong, he tried to run but it rolled on him, he was trapped under a big limb with a smashed pelvis.... No one knew where he was, and no one had mobiles back then. His saw was still running just out of reach but he could just touch the tip of the bar, saws being what they were back then the chain was still spinning, he cut his hands to bits getting hold of the saw but eventually managed to get it. He cut the limb off himself and started to crawl towards his truck. He was beaten by a stock fence which he couldn't get over, he had to wait until he was missed and discovered.

I've just had to rethink my definition of a "bad day"!

Hi Bob, I haven't read the whole thread, so not sure if a PLB (Personal Locator Beacon) has been mentioned. This is a small box of tricks which you keep on you and activate it if you need help. It has GPS, so it knows where it is and when activated, it sends a distress call with your location and pre-registered details to the emergency services via satellite and they will then come and find you. There are fancier models available with messaging. McMurdo marine + other companies like ACR make these, here is a link http://www.mcmurdomarine.com/personal-locator-beacons. They work on land and sea and typically are used by mountaineers, sea kayakers etc. ACR have a survivors web page (which appears to be down at the moment) which makes interesting reading.... Since the system works on satellite, it should work anywhere and it does not use the mobile phone network, so no probs if you don't have a mobile phone signal. One of these saved the life of a friend of a friend who was diving and became separated from his diving buddy. He was picked up 9 miles from the dive spot after drifting into a tide race. I would be interested to hear what you finally go for.