When is it too late to change careers?

Stoatally

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not read this whole thread, I'm just jumping in at the end!

Ive met a lot of 40 somethings who want to "re-train" or have recently "re trained". I say "re-trained" because there is some confusion about NPTC certs being training for an arb career, and in my opinion they are not. They a safety certificates. The actual re-training is the first 5 years or so of tree work, and that ideally needs to be full time day in day out climbing or working with a climbing crew at a pace of work that is commercially viable. Get through that and your sorted!!

I think its the pace of work that can be a bit of a shock. Any tree company with work to do must have won that work somehow and most have to quote against other companies to win the work. So the work then needs to be done at pace, and at minumum costs (I mean efficiently and without damaging kit) in order to scrape a reasonable profit.

But, yes, if your fit and can learn and can get a job then there's no reason why not.

Interesting that you do long triathlons. I only do Olympic distance at the moment and an olympic triathlon on a sunday is easier than some days at work, but of course some days at work are much easier aswell. I did a sprint tri the day after an olympic one last year and getting out of bed for it felt exactly the same as on a tuesday or wednesday after some climbing work. I'm 46 and glad I did the 5 year training in my 20's!

Not read this whole thread, I'm just jumping in at the end!

Ive met a lot of 40 somethings who want to "re-train" or have recently "re trained". I say "re-trained" because there is some confusion about NPTC certs being training for an arb career, and in my opinion they are not. They a safety certificates. The actual re-training is the first 5 years or so of tree work, and that ideally needs to be full time day in day out climbing or working with a climbing crew at a pace of work that is commercially viable. Get through that and your sorted!!

I think its the pace of work that can be a bit of a shock. Any tree company with work to do must have won that work somehow and most have to quote against other companies to win the work. So the work then needs to be done at pace, and at minumum costs (I mean efficiently and without damaging kit) in order to scrape a reasonable profit.

But, yes, if your fit and can learn and can get a job then there's no reason why not.

Interesting that you do long triathlons. I only do Olympic distance at the moment and an olympic triathlon on a sunday is easier than some days at work, but of course some days at work are much easier aswell. I did a sprint tri the day after an olympic one last year and getting out of bed for it felt exactly the same as on a tuesday or wednesday after some climbing work. I'm 46 and glad I did the 5 year training in my 20's!

Spot on Rupe!

I have a bloke working for me now,who did his Large Tree Felling ticket in Wales before he came over.After seeing him kok up a few medium Trees I asked how many Trees he felled on his course... 4 Trees!

They cost him £100 per Tree.

I'm not afraid of a hard days work. I've managed to get a couple of days with local firms and survived. Not that many years ago I would do weekends and holidays with my ex father in law doing fencing and agricultural contracting, plus loads of work repairing his kit, welding / fabricating and stuff. I also reckon I'd be as fit as many college / school leavers are now, but I've also had the experience and know what a day at work is like.

I'm also not stupid enough to know that 30/31/38/39 doesn't make me a tree surgeon, doesn't mean I'm fully trained and competent and able to set up my own company tomorrow carrying out fully competent jobs. I'm happy to work for someone for a few years, get more on the job training, pick up knowledge and learn from the experts. I'm also learning the theory side of arb too.

What I do have over other people trying to get in to the industry is a good work ethic, I've worked for 25 years so I understand that I have to be somewhere on time EVERY day, I've worked shifts, weekends and travelled away a lot. I can deal with most types of customer, I can team work or be left on my own. I know that when I appear to have nothing to do, there's always something that could be done. I'm not afraid of a broom or a kettle.

I have a full driving licence with 7.5 ton and trailer. I have an nv1 2 & 3 in motor vehicle repair and service, so I can fix quite a lot of stuff, I've been a welder fabricator and experience of farm machinery, tractor driving, fencing etc. I also know my limitations so I ask if I'm unsure rather than ploughing straight in a messing stuff up, I'm also confident enough too say 'sorry, I think I've messed up' when necessary and not try to hide it / blame someone or something else.

I've spoken to a few businesses asking what they want, and self funded cs30, 31, 38, 39, emergency first aid + forestry and looking to have done rigging and large fell by the end of September. I have a full climbing kit, with relevant LOLER, husky 135, 365 and echo 2510 so I'm pretty keen to get into the industry!

Sounds like you have it covered. I meant to add that you welding skills are very useful as well as your (I assume) pre 97 driving license? I'd employ good drivers over good climbers, in the first instance, they are more useful.

But what I mean by pace is more than just hard work. I've seen people work there nuts off but still fail to complete the task because they are not efficient. An efficient working team can achieve more than simple hard work. But that efficiency needs learning. The simple act of avoiding an idiot pile can take some people 6 months to learn.

I think Rupes point is spot on ... ( glad he's back contributing again )

' hard day's graft ' , ' working my ass off ' is terms you here regularly in this industry but if you need do this every day either you'll fail mentally probably first or physically . Or both .

As a late trainee myself the first 6 months of climbing day in day out was a physical and mental struggle and at times i felt like packing up and going home . Things changed when I had to force myself to change my climbing style and start being much smarter and accurate with the throwline , using a pantin etc . That combined with the fitness and large muscle mass I had gained things got a lot easier ... Personally ads saying how much kit someone has doesn't really mean anything to me ..:001_smile:

Edited by born2trot
Spelling

I regularly hear that people are ganging after a tough afternoon of ripping apart a 3ft deep pile of brash!! I prefer 20 minutes of chipping a pre organise array if 50 bundles of chip able stuff and then get another job in!! Pace is about the team and the climber us only one eliminate. Sometimes the climber needs to slow down so that the team can finish quicker.