When is it too late to change careers?

Stoatally

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have tickets for tractor and flail?

I don't have tickets for anything yet. Trying to work out what's best - should I do C30/31 and then things like chipper / stump grinder being useful as a groundie for experience and then do climbing stuff after?

I didn't realise you need tractor tickets - I'll have to have a look into it all.

When you send your email really sell yourself mate! Better still visit the companies in person! Harder to say no to your face!

I know, and that's easy if you're 16/17 and leaving or left school. Not so easy to do when you work full time and have other commitments.

I'll see what I can do over the next week.

Dont worry about your age, we have two guys still working that are in their mid 70`s. They can still hold their own against the nippers , what they lack in muscle they make up for with commitment , knowledge, work ethics and reliability.

Bob

I entered this field of work at 46. I had just sold a small business that allowed me to get set up with equipment and get my tickets (see my signature to save me putting them up again).

I'm trying to get some money saved up to start training and get my initial tickets.

How long are you going to be retraining, as in not earning.

I have no idea how long I'll be retraining. If I can do C30/31/32 in a week then in theory I could be doing some basic stuff to get some experience. Maybe its worth me looking into insurance too? Then I guess talking to anyone I can get work from as to what skills / tickets they need most.

I emailed a load of local people last week, asking for work experience, I'm more than happy to start off doing voluntary stuff when I'm free - seems that a lot of people locally don't do much stuff on evenings and weekends, or there is the health and safety issue as I'm untrained.

Someone is ringing back to discuss some possibilities next week, and a company has said they currently have no vacancies but are recruiting trainees soon.

My leave year starts in October so I'm going to use a week or two of that to get some tickets started. Gives me a couple of months to see if I can get the £500 or so together for C30/31

Know how much getting the gear and tickets costs.

I know! I've been looking at courses in the Bristol area and further afield. I have friends around the country so possibly look elsewhere if they're cheaper / more available. It's a pain that the costs are always +assessment, which is the most important part.

What is your goal, employee or employer?

I think I'd like the comfort of being an employee initially. I'm happy to effectively be like a school leaver again and go in at the bottom. I reckon as long as a company will honour minimum wage I can make it work. AS I get more skilled I can look to do some subbing work and some own working. Ultimately I do think I could look at being self employed - especially if I can get a network of people I can trust to use for subbie work etc.

I couldn't have done this without the support of my amazing Wife, allowing me to take a break from the 50/50 split on bill payments over the last 3 years and me putting in when flush hasn't just helped - it's made the difference in being able to do this successfully. The fact her own business is successful made this possible.

My fiancée is amazing. I know she would support me, we've had long talks about how my current job affects me and what I want to do. It's just taken a while to work out what it is that I DO want to to do. We've worked out what I would have to put in each month and I know that if there were months that I couldn't then she would support us both.

There may be a chance that the team I'm in will be disappearing. I'm going to talk to the management about chances of a package, which would obviously make getting into local training and getting some kit together much easier. I'll speak to them this week.

This has come from the heart and apologies if it goes a bit all over the place, hope it helps.

Russ

Its been really insightful, supportive and inspiring reading all this, thank you for taking the time to post. I will be going back to planning and researching with new vigour tomorrow.

Its very reassuring reading this, as i'm 24 and am currently baulking the idea of leaving my warehouse job for an outdoor landscapey,possibly arb venture with my own vehicle and eventually, kit. Arbtalk has given me so many tips and ideas its a godsend. Thanks! :001_smile:

funny you mention your age and occupation i was 23 and working in a Tesco warehouse absolutely hating every minute of it by the age of 24 i had made up my mind to leave and go back to college and study horticulture. for the 6 months before i left the thought of leaving a secure job to chase a dream scared the bejesus out of me. im coming up 28 now and have been self employed since leaving college and have never been happier

If I was 24 I'd be straight out the door.

The fact I'm 40 and have a mortgage to pay, plus I used my student funding when I was 22 for a diploma in HE.

In all honesty - the more I think about it I could go to college and work days / evenings and weekends in Tesco or the like and get all teh esperience i can

I came into the industry at 34 after 15 years in the army, I didn't have a clue, I got my 30,31,38,39 worked for myself and full time for a big firm as groundie / driver. Moved on to a bigger and better firm! I now manage all aspects of our contracts in my area as well as full time on the tools. I'm not the best climber or tree surgeon. But you need a lot more than tree experience in this game. I can manage people, assets, quote works and interact at all levels. There is a lot more to tree work than trees. Climbing and cutting a tree is only a very small part! Get out there and get what you want! It's the only way

• 2 weeks later...

C30/31 booked for the first week in October with Roland Flemming. 1 week annual leave booked so I can go.

Looking at chipper / brushcutter at Royal Ag, and trying to find something like a stump grinder.

Then I'll look at C38 later in the year or in the new year? Followed by C39.

I've been offered 2 days basic grounding but can't get time off the day job :-(