How Many Days Holiday Do You Take?

matelot

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One man band and i try and get a dozen short weekend trips in me caravan a year ,10 day break in the sun and standard 3 weeks off at Christmas,am 47 and spent most of my life shovelling pig sh.t on the family farm and never had proper hols up to the age of 30 do I try my best having time with my kids and the Mrs now .....

Time is very precious

Ste

Same age same out look. Even did the caravan holidays a few years ago. It's easier to count my holidays than working days. I book in 3 days work a week if I can't be bothered the rest of the week I dont. Teacher training days are ideal days out as everywhere is quiet.

If you take regular holidays you are more effective when working rather than grind yourself into a hole.

Don't get me wrong I have my fair share of 14 hrs a day 7 days a week if I am in the mood for it. Your only here once don't spend it at work.

Now 6 years into self employment, I'm trying to take more definite and more regular time off. I guess it's something you naturally crave when you become a parent. Had a week in Sweden so far this year that was a complete holiday, several days in Germany that sort of was (collected a trailer, drove a couple thousand miles) and planning to have another week later in the year.

With the hours I do at the sawmill, I'm certain that I do an average of 45 hours a week even including my weeks off. So bloody busy.

No holidays here ime afraid, the thought of driving to Gatwick for 4 in the morning and then waiting 3 hours in a big shed before flying to some crumby hotel,or forking out £400 for the priviledge of dossing in a damp 'holiday cottage' for a week here in the uk is stress i can do without.

bloody right!

If you don't already have debts and obligations, don't for the gods sakes get into the position where you have to work like a slave.

Its been said "Work To Live" and if you hate every minute you're there, then yeah, sure, but wouldn't it be better to enjoy your work so much that you Live To Work instead? And part of that is not working to mental and emotional exhaustion so that you end up hating what you started off loving.

Take a care, young men and women!

Am I alone in thinking that being self employed or a boss entitles you to take breaks as and when which makes a holiday less of a priority. I just grab time between gluts of work and do what I want which suits my tiny mind,I dont think I could bear to be somewhere for a set two week period pretending not to be bored witless.

Bob

Spot on for me, I really do enjoy going to work at least half the time and for me a day at a country show, Land Rover show, days off reading or a nice long road trip is far more enjoyable for me than going away and having to be away for a fixed period between 2 long, sweaty days on a plane or a train:lol:

I do like being away for the weekend, but only if I can have the Friday off to sort my week out! Although that doesn't usually happen- the last Friday I wen away I delivered 20 bags of logs when I was supposed to be getting ready!

Am I alone in thinking that being self employed or a boss entitles you to take breaks as and when which makes a holiday less of a priority. I just grab time between gluts of work and do what I want which suits my tiny mind,I dont think I could bear to be somewhere for a set two week period pretending not to be bored witless.

Bob

Snap :thumbup1:

My last few days off was at the start of the kids holidays and I was out working until 2pm and we were supposed to be leaving at 12ish got in trouble for that! Problem is if I had not done it I would have been thinking about it all the time we were away.

I find switching off from work a big problem there just doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day at the moment.