Best old tractor with high flow rate for splitter ?

arboriculturist

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My Posch has an integrated pump, so just connect the PTO. I use an MF135 but dont think flow rate is that high. I do have a second splitter that runs off hydraulics, connect that to a big JD6900 and it flies compared to running it off the 135.

A

That's very good for a little 3 cylinder tractor - should be very economical.

I have used my 1979 Ford 6600(which is supposed to produce 35 L/min)and would need to be at 16-1800 rpm to get an acceptable ram speed.

More often I use it on my JD6400 at about 1200 rpm which is supposed to be 80 l/min.

My Posch has an integrated pump, so just connect the PTO. I use an MF135 but dont think flow rate is that high. I do have a second splitter that runs off hydraulics, connect that to a big JD6900 and it flies compared to running it off the 135.

A

135 flow rate 20ltrs / min, way too slow.

Modern tractors are great as many have massive flow rate which is also adjustable, but not practical to run just for a standalone splitter.

I would just hang one of these off the back of any old tractor, available in many flow rates and keeps the PTO live.

This one is expensive , normally about £350 ish from flowfit but just an example

PTO Pump Gearbox 800 series+ BE L Hydraulic Pump | eBay

Bob

PTO pumps are great, but the pump is just the start - Oil reservoir, breather, filter head and filter, pipework / fittings etc. and fabrication costs.

Can be almost the same cost to buy an old IH tractor, which is what I am looking to do. :thumbup1:

I am looking for the best old school Tractor to run a tractor splitter that has a decent flow rate.

I've been told an IH 454 puts out 45 ltrs / min @ 540prm.

Others opinions most welcome. :thumbup1:

Hi Arb there good tractors the only 1 I better is a Massey Ferguson industrial with rear link arms obviously if that's Gotta run the front loader and rear digger is gone massive pump on it my mate Sunoco culture engineer for Massies back in the days and that pump on there is massive will run a new type moderate log splitter thanks John

I am looking for the best old school Tractor to run a tractor splitter that has a decent flow rate.

I've been told an IH 454 puts out 45 ltrs / min @ 540prm.

Others opinions most welcome. :thumbup1:

Hi mate what your better off doing think but what do I no is getting PTO Driven log splitter then just use your small tractor are you is no fuel I've got a 165 driving a 20 ton posh it its brilliant absolutely fantastic on red brilliant little thing thanks very much John