Stihl Kombi RC56-E motor questions (oil in air filter)

HDAV

I'm a home owner user of a Stihl kombi ( fantastic bit of kit)

It's a 2008 unit bought used in 2012 I think, it's used mostly with hedge trimmer attachment, rarely with a pole pruner and once only strimmer (have a strimmer so no need really)

It has been faultless, gets a good use every year cutting a mixture of stuff privet, laurel, leylandii etc. or a week of pro use a year......

I'm not sure if it has ever been serviced, certainly not since I bought it, it's run only on red Stihl oil mix 50:1 and hedge trimmer is greased regularly.

Today I took the cover off the air intake and knocked the crud off, the filter was oily and under the filter was oil not lots but enough to see

Is this normal or is fuel mix going back out of the carb? I do tend to invert it and tip the motor and never noticed a fuel leak (has the fiddly black and white cover to tank)

Should I be worried by the red oil in the filter material and on the inside of it?

Edited by HDAV

I'm a home owner user of a Stihl kombi ( fantastic bit of kit)

It's a 2008 unit bought used in 2012 I think, it's used mostly with hedge trimmer attachment, rarely with a pole pruner and once only strimmer (have a strimmer so no need really)

It has been faultless, gets a good use every year cutting a mixture of stuff privet, laurel, leylandii etc. or a week of pro use a year......

I'm not sure if it has ever been serviced, certainly not since I bought it, it's run only on red Stihl oil mix 50:1 and hedge trimmer is greased regularly.

Today I took the cover off the air intake and knocked the crud off, the filter was oily and under the filter was oil not lots but enough to see

Is this normal or is fuel mix going back out of the carb? I do tend to invert it and tip the motor and never noticed a fuel leak (has the fiddly black and white cover to tank)

Should I be worried by the red oil in the filter material and on the inside of it?

It is relatively common and isn't an issue that I have ever found, when the throttle is cranked open, some fuel/oil mix escapes from the back of the carb, the fuel evaporates leaving the oil residue.

It is relatively common and isn't an issue that I have ever found, when the throttle is cranked open, some fuel/oil mix escapes from the back of the carb, the fuel evaporates leaving the oil residue.

Thanks, if its a known thing then thats cool it does run a WOT fora time while cutting so makes sense was just a bit surprised to see/feel it all over the filter and inside the housing.

The exhaust port is very clean unlike our cheaper 2 stroke gear.

Guess i have no excuse to buy anything else...... :001_rolleyes: