Ragwort question

aspenarb

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes it's so toxic that it's been rated as being 10,000 times more toxic than it really is by the British Horse a Society.... who's ever heard of something actually dropping dead (in the real world) from eating Ragwort?....

cheers, Steve

pulling ragwart is a waste of time! i find when you pull one out the root system will shoot up another 8 or so.

the best way to kill them off is to spray 3 times a year

first is early on when they are coming through

second is after the first to top up the first lot and catch the second growth

third is in the back end when next years are lot getting ready

and do this for three years or grow some tesco that end them:lol:

Yes it's so toxic that it's been rated as being 10,000 times more toxic than it really is by the British Horse a Society.... who's ever heard of something actually dropping dead (in the real world) from eating Ragwort?....

cheers, Steve

Steve, I used to be pretty sceptical about its deadly powers, but I have always pulled out any Ive seen, either on our farm or anywhere Ive been making hay. Two years ago I found a young bullock flopping around at the back of the shed trying to die, he was the youngest of the bunch but not generally weak. There was a handful of ragwort stems left in the bottom of the ring feeder, all the other animals had presumably known they were bad news. The vet agreed it seemed like ragwort poisoning, there is no real treatment but we kept his guts running and he got better. So now I~m a believer and keep pulling it out,

Rod

Everything you need to know about Ragwort is here: Ragwort Facts. All the ragwort science and information that you need to know. cheers, Steve

The person who wrote the ‘ragwort facts’ website works with an environmental group that wants to repeal the Weeds Act and Ragwort Control Act, perhaps worth bearing this in mind when reading.

My own personal view is shown in more detail in post #52 here http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/general-chat/89098-ragwort-6.html#post1317369

Ragwort is fine if it's not allowed to dominate an area but it doesn’t belong in or near livestock grazing or land used to produce preserved forage. Under the risk assessment outlined in the Ragwort Code of Practice removal of ragwort is usually only required within 50m of grazing land/land used to produce forage.

The person who wrote the ‘ragwort facts’ website works with an environmental group that wants to repeal the Weeds Act and Ragwort Control Act, perhaps worth bearing this in mind when reading.

My own personal view is shown in more detail in post #52 here http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/general-chat/89098-ragwort-6.html#post1317369

Ragwort is fine if it's not allowed to dominate an area but it doesn’t belong in or near livestock grazing or land used to produce preserved forage. Under the risk assessment outlined in the Ragwort Code of Practice removal of ragwort is usually only required within 50m of grazing land/land used to produce forage.

Thanks for your analysis Sue, I read some of it and concluded that is was written in the style of evangelical claptrap, and I couldnt see any authors name.