Stihl MS362 M-tronic won't start when warm

broadwaytrees

Reading more and more about the 362 the more i realise how lucky i am with mine.

Have had it for about half a year now, 20" bar on it, starts hot with one pull every time and most importantly it runs like a champ.

Mine would start first time, but would then constantly cut out when back cutting a tree, or snedding out! It's gone back to Stihl so still waiting for an answer. A mate of mine has one of the first auto tune 362's and he has never had a problem with it.

Mine would start first time, but would then constantly cut out when back cutting a tree, or snedding out! It's gone back to Stihl so still waiting for an answer. A mate of mine has one of the first auto tune 362's and he has never had a problem with it.

A shame to hear, did you reset the m-tronic a lot?

i do mine about every day, when i'm warming it up in the morning before cutting.

Iv got the same problem with the 362. It's really annoying me now and the two 261s are almost as bad. Iv heard greasing the sprocket bearing helps but for professional saws I grudge having to do that

Ring the stihl tech department and explain the problems. See what they suggest. I've never had a saw that has cost me so much in lost earnings before!

• 6 months later...

I had the same issue. It was very frustrating. I couldn't cut more than a quarter of a tree. I took it in and they replaced the carb and fuel filter for free under warranty.

They told me the saw has to idle for 5-10 seconds before turning it off. The carb apparently saves the last few seconds as the idle setting.

So far it is running great and I am going to always start in the start position and let it idle in the start position for 60 seconds when cold. I will also be always using full throttle instead of partial.

Edited by JepLaude

• 1 year later...

Hi guys trouble with the stihl M-tronics is the coil if your chainsaw will not start when hot.Stihl will obviously not admit to this.Had a few new m-tronic coils go.(And there not cheap).I have been repairing chainsaws for my son (Arbourist) for many years now.They are great when they work but when you go to refuel will not start same for all the M-tronics.One way I found around this (temporary fix) is to hold the trigger fully in starting when hot.Also found out on here is to start from cold and do NOT touch the trigger and rev it let it tick over for about a minute before reving up this I guess my be resetting the brain in the coil.?Not sure if this works as just found this out will experiment with this idea in the future.Regards to all

• 2 months later...

Problems with running/starting and especially dying at tickover on all M-tronic saws usually points to the fuel solenoid on the side of the carburettor (approx £20.00). Always worth trying before replacing a complete carburettor. Also always do a re-set by running on choke for 60 seconds and then turn off before using. If in doubt refer to a dealer.

3 minutes ago, Dr Stihl said:

Problems with running/starting and especially dying at tickover on all M-tronic saws usually points to the fuel solenoid on the side of the carburettor (approx £20.00). Always worth trying before replacing a complete carburettor. Also always do a re-set by running on choke for 60 seconds and then turn off before using. If in doubt refer to a dealer.

How do you get a saw to run on choke for 60secs ?