Stihl MS362 M-tronic won't start when warm

broadwaytrees

Hi,

does anyone else out there have an issue with the new M-tronic MS362 not starting up again once it is warm?

The saw is less than 6 months old and has already been back to Stihl once for a new carburetor under warrenty.

But, it will not start up again once warm, taking at least 40 pulls a time to get going, and now over 100 pulls on some days.

I just wondered if anyone else had experienced this and whether Stihl ever solved the problem for you.

(no wonder it's sold as being 20% more fuel efficient - you end up using it less because it won't start!).

many thanks

Bettina

It is really one for the dealer that sold it to you as the saw is still under warranty but it is probably fuel related as this is the most common issue with small garden kit. Unfortunately, the auto-tune isn't easy to work with and many dealers will just replace the whole unit if an issue is present.

When you pull it over 10-20 pulls, is their lots of fuel in the cylinder and on the spark plug? Worth checking as it will show you if the carb is letting fuel through to the cylinder. If it is relatively dry, make sure the choke is shutting completely when on.

When it does start, does it smoke like mad, 40 - 100 pulls with the choke on would normally saturate an engine in fuel and flood it excessively!

It is also possible that the piston has had a minor seize so worth checking the compression is up in the 150-170psi range. 145 and lower isn't good and removing the exhaust gives you a good view of the piston and the part that usually scores up when the saw seizes.

Also worth checking the plug out and making sure you haven't got a rare but possible issue with it.

Personally, I would use the dealer - they sold it to you, 40-100 pulls is madness, I would expect a regularly used saw to work from cold on 5 pulls and 1 pull from hot.

We've got 3 and they are all total junk because of this very reason. Stihl have created another saw that is unfit for purpose apparently.

I'm thinking its the old problems that the early 560/550 had because its the 1st or 2nd generation A/T that Husqvarna sold to Stihl . Husqvarna now being on the 3rd generation ( I think ) which seems to have resolved these problems ......

• 1 month later...

I have the exact same problem and cant get anyone to give an adequate answer, saw has done less than 50hrs work, has great power delivery yet idles badly especially when hot then impossible to restart. Now someone at stihl must know what this problem is being caused by as i now know at least 3 forestry contractors that have had the same problem with new m-tronic saws, especially the ms 441. Stihl ru listening we need tech support

Hi,

does anyone else out there have an issue with the new M-tronic MS362 not starting up again once it is warm?

The saw is less than 6 months old and has already been back to Stihl once for a new carburetor under warrenty.

But, it will not start up again once warm, taking at least 40 pulls a time to get going, and now over 100 pulls on some days.

I just wondered if anyone else had experienced this and whether Stihl ever solved the problem for you.

(no wonder it's sold as being 20% more fuel efficient - you end up using it less because it won't start!).

many thanks

Bettina

Same problem exactly, saw has done less than 50 hrs work, idles erratically when hot then stalls and wont restart. Stihl replaced the module, exactly the same problem which makes you wonder whether they know what has happened with the engineering or manufacturing process on the new ms ranges, something is not right here. My next move is to return the saw but it is out of warranty and stihl have no obligation to fix it.

We have the MS362C-Q with a classically manual adjusted carburator.

I haven't yet seen it flooded, but have experienced spark plug sensitivity.

The MS362 might have a weak ignition module, at least our saw has idle problems if the spark plug gap is more than nominal 0.5 mm. A new spark plug or frequent adjust of the gap is therefore needed for our saw.