Felling leaning trees....

Husqvarna King

I have recently won a job, to fell a short (50 odd foot) Horse Chestnut, that must have a spread of at least 60 ft and a DBH of over 40". It is at the bottom of the customers garden, and has a shed either side, a fence and many beautiful plants.

The other side of the garden is a set-aside (Bramble!) field, permission has been given for us to use the field to fell the tree. I had planned to remove 2 large limbs that are in the direction of the fall to stop the tree rolling onto one of the sheds (these limbs are large and nearly touch the floor half way out if that makes sense). Then attach a pull rope and fell it, using a tractor to pull it over, as there would then be a huge back lean.

My problem is that the only access to the field is across another (unused) garden, and due to bad past experiences, the estate agents will not let us take a tractor through.

I have considered partially cutting the large limbs so that they break as the tree falls or a bottle jack. Both seem a little risky though. Just wondered if you fellas had any other methods. Could be climbed but the customer was not keen on us lowering limbs over her plants/garden, and it would take forever!! Is there a temporary ground anchor we could put in for a winch? are they possible to hire?? Its all new ground to me...Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

have you got any pics? hard to tell from what you're saying here. I dont really understand, you say the client doesnt want you to lower in case you damage his plants, yet is willing to risk you felling the whole tree with little experience or equipment to do it safely? Have you priced the job taking all these problems into consideration, or trying to do it on the cheap?

have you got any pics? hard to tell from what you're saying here. I dont really understand, you say the client doesnt want you to lower in case you damage his plants, yet is willing to risk you felling the whole tree with little experience or equipment to do it safely? Have you priced the job taking all these problems into consideration, or trying to do it on the cheap?

Havnt got any pics at the mo, but should be able to get some next week. I have felled many large trees (may not be an old experienced cutter). And like i said we would have used a tractor, we were told that we were allowed access when it was priced. Im not trying to do the job on the cheap, I would climb it, Just want to keep the client happy...Also got job on recommendation and dont think they got another quote. I left my price as an estimate as i didnt get into the field when i went to price the job.

Zip line is a nice idea but i dont think the tree is tall enough, especially for the limbs over the garden

Its all new ground to me...Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Sorry, saw this part and thought you were not so experienced, did not mean to offend.:001_smile:

I would prefer a wire cable over a rope to pull tbh, and are you familiar with the tractor driver? Most of them are ok for pulling plough or a trailer full of bales, but you dont want some gung-ho fool pulling like mad at the wrong time. I have a ground anchor for winching, but how much load are you going to put on it? Is there a tree near enough that you could put a tirfor on? What is the condition of the tree to be removed? Dead, or green?

Sorry, saw this part and thought you were not so experienced, did not mean to offend.:001_smile:

I would prefer a wire cable over a rope to pull tbh, and are you familiar with the tractor driver? Most of them are ok for pulling plough or a trailer full of bales, but you dont want some gung-ho fool pulling like mad at the wrong time. I have a ground anchor for winching, but how much load are you going to put on it? Is there a tree near enough that you could put a tirfor on? What is the condition of the tree to be removed? Dead, or green?

No problem, I had worded the las bit wrong, sorry. Good idea about the wire cable, think i will have to invest in one for this job. There are no other trees to winch off, it is a huge open field behind. I used to work with the tractor driver and he has pulled trees over with me before. But as we cant take a tractor in, im looking at other options. Is the anchor like a corkscrew...? The tree is perfectly healthy (apart from leaf minor), just miles too big for a small garden, and is obstructing light from the other plants/trees.

The anchor screws in, ex-military, getting like hens teeth these days as they're worth more as scrap due to their weight. I also have a drive in one but its only really suitable for self-recovery or a light pull.

HAHA...Ok, thanks for your advice Andy, will have a look into it:001_smile: I think i will probably have to climb it to be honest though. Thanks

Yesh to the ex military ones -tho tbh all u need is a length of 6mm angle an som 16 re-bar for pins, burn 8 holes down the length of the angle faces, cut the re-bar to 3 foot lengths -get the torch on it an curl som loops on the end ( so you can pull em out) then weld a big eye on the angle iron, for yr tirfor-an thats it

Lay it in the direction of pulll an hammer the pins in at angle suggested by the angle - iron an if that moves -I'm a Welsh man.

K