Diesel tuning chips....mmmm.

adbat234

2 hours ago, pie eater pete said:

Had my Td5 130 remapped a few months ago along with a bigger intercooler and HD clutch, totally different now, will pull tracked chipper and trailer with ease, revs much more freely. I think a proper re-map is the way not just a generic box.

Yes if you are changing other components and need a remap that’s takes account of that. Or if you have a track car that you want to wring every last ounce of.  However general consensus these days is that a tuning  box from a reputable company will give the average worktruck best bang for buck. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, doobin said:

Yes if you are changing other components and need a remap that’s takes account of that. Or if you have a track car that you want to wring every last ounce of.  However general consensus these days is that a tuning  box from a reputable company will give the average worktruck best bang for buck. 

The remap i had done was specifically for low down torque...the problem i would see with a tuning box is they aren't really tailored to the vehicle. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, pie eater pete said:

The remap i had done was specifically for low down torque...the problem i would see with a tuning box is they aren't really tailored to the vehicle. 

With Tunit if you tell them what vehicule and what your requirements are they will set it roughly to what you want and then if you can get to one of thier workshops  fine tune it with a laptop .

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, pie eater pete said:

Old school ones weren't- indeed, they were little more than a resistor. Modern ones are to a point, but how far do you want to go?

Both a basic remap and a twin channel tuning box do pretty much the same thing, but one is DIY fit, transferable between vehicles and cheaper.

It's a work truck- I don't need it dyno tested and tuned to within an inch of it's capabilities. I just need a little more low down torque, and the tuning box gives me that in spades.

• Like 2

a box tricks the engine to run differently, dumps more fuel in and won't necessarily tell it to pull more air in too

a remap is physically a different file so it runs everything differently, so takes in fuel/ air accordingly etc

i had it on a van, had a box, would go into limp mode at over a certain rpm, so then got a proper remap done, the gains were alot more and ran alot better, never a limp mode issue again

current ranger has 40k on it and was remapped from 2k

• Like 3

a box tricks the engine to run differently, dumps more fuel in and won't necessarily tell it to pull more air in too

a remap is physically a different file so it runs everything differently, so takes in fuel/ air accordingly etc
i had it on a van, had a box, would go into limp mode at over a certain rpm, so then got a proper remap done, the gains were alot more and ran alot better, never a limp mode issue again

Did you get your ranger done by PAC tuning? I hear lots of good things about PAC, Ranger owners swear by them..
  • Like 1

All the rave about a little more grunt and a saved pint. Probably nice but remember that the rest of the vehicle, especially the gearbox and axles must be ready to take the additional load. 

In some shoguns for example, the engine torque is exactly set to the maximum the gearbox is able to transfer. Those engines run approx a quarter below their torque capabililties. 

The exceeded wear for sure won't pop up within the first years of use, but if aiming for the long run, I would steer away from preparing machinery beeing posted in the "Things broke WOT" thread. 

Edited by marne

1 hour ago, marne said:

All the rave about a little more grunt and a saved pint. Probably nice but remember that the rest of the vehicle, especially the gearbox and axles must be ready to take the additional load. 

In some shoguns for example, the engine torque is exactly set to the maximum the gearbox is able to transfer. Those engines run approx a quarter below their torque capabililties. 

The exceeded wear for sure won't pop up within the first years of use, but if aiming for the long run, I would steer away from preparing machinery beeing posted in the "Things broke WOT" thread. 

One thing that I did think about was the simplex timing chain set up . On the previous engine there was a duplex timing chain mod available . Don't know if there is one for my engine yet . 

1 hour ago, marne said:

Been running my Ranger with a chip for years now. Change the flywheel to single mass and you are good.

Makes the old 2.5 Mazda engine into a good tow motor, add air assist suspension and it's happy pulling 3.5t up hills. Some of the best money I spent.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Stihl123 said:

A remap or tuning box both work on increasing the fuel pressure (normally) or the injector opening duration (sometimes). More fuel equals more power, which in turn will use more air. Modern twin channel boxes link into the boost sensor too, which avoids problems such as excessive smoke. A twin channel box is doing exactly the same as a basic remap, albeit in a different manner. There's precious little other benefit to be gained for our applications (torque for towing) by tweaking injection duration, etc.

The reason a box (single channel) can trigger limp mode is because the engine thinks it's supplying X amount of fuel and so should be using Y of air (as reported by the MAF sensor), as the box tricks it by under-reporting the fuel pressure. So it throws a MAF error when the airflow exceeds what it considers a safe level for the fuel it thinks it's supplying. Just wind the box back a couple of clicks, you're being greedy!

The above is also the reason why a lot of reports of incredible fuel savings as well as more power are bollocks. The truck is told by the box that the fuel pressure is lower than it is, so the truck computer reports a better MPG. Economy is gained by cruising around on the torque- you're still going to drink more diesel when thrashing it towing. Can't have your cake and eat it.

Edited by doobin
  • Like 2