Diesel tuning chips....mmmm.

adbat234

they trick the engine into running differently whereas a remap is physically changes the files on the ecu to make the engine run different 

having run both, i can say the gains are better with a remap and reliable 

some boxes also jack the rail pressure right up to some crazy levels 

I tend to keep my diesel cars for years and have had tuning boxes on three at present without issues. The one on my Mercedes 3 ltr V6 has been on for 56,000 miles, and gives a noticeable boost to the original claimed 224 bhp, although I haven’t put it on a rolling road to check. I have checked the fuel consumption however, which with moderated driving does not seem to have deteriorated. 37 mpg on a trip to the South of France and back was not too bad considering it was mainly at higher speeds. That was checked against fuel receipts and actual mileage.

I also have two VW Tiguans, one a 150 and the other a 140 bhp. Ones done 35,000 miles with the box and the others done 21,000 miles. The box on the lower powered Tiguan has had the added benefit of curing or disguising the unmodified car’s occasional former stutter. Both are considerably quicker and fuel consumption on both is 44 mpg + on a run of over 20 miles. My lower powered one occasionally exceeds 50 mpg if I’m stuck in slower traffic.

None of the boxes are removed for an MOT test. I’m a bit of a fan of them, like the price for the performance and like that you can remove them for eventual selling.

• Like 1

I like the idea of a either a remap or box  on my L200 but the jury seems to be still out to a degree as far as consumption goes. Sometimes more power can equate to improved mpg too and i just checked the figures on ebay for what you can expect from one tuning box for L200, and its minus 20% on the mpg. I'd prefer a bit of an improvement across the board. Anyone know what to expect on Mitsubishi diesels?

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 16/01/2022 at 09:25, Acerforestry said:

Just fitted on my Navara NP300 Nguard ( or my mate did as he is a mechanic and I am not ) the " Tunit " box and blue tooth power pedal .  The claim is to up the bhp from the standard 190bhp to 237bhp with a 12%-15% increase in fuel economy . Me being skeptical could not work out how you can get more grunt using less fuel  but it does ! The " power pedal " alters throttle response and the box ups the BHP and torque and so far it is doing what it claims . The only reason I went for it is because the mate who fitted it has had one on his Shogan for a couple of years and rates it . Oh the company is called " Tunit " by the way .

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 1

Just fitted on my Navara NP300 Nguard ( or my mate did as he is a mechanic and I am not ) the " Tunit " box and blue tooth power pedal .  The claim is to up the bhp from the standard 190bhp to 237bhp with a 12%-15% increase in fuel economy . Me being skeptical could not work out how you can get more grunt using less fuel  but it does ! The " power pedal " alters throttle response and the box ups the BHP and torque and so far it is doing what it claims . The only reason I went for it is because the mate who fitted it has had one on his Shogan for a couple of years and rates it . Oh the company is called " Tunit " by the way .

I had a tunit plug and play on my TD5 defender many years ago and it caused no end of issues, I removed it in the end. I then had a remap done buy a reputable company but it also caused no end of problems, it used to snap manifold studs regularly due to the heat created by having more power. I won't fiddle about with engines in this way again unless I really need too. I hope yours is ok Stubby.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Hodge said:

I had a tunit plug and play on my TD5 defender many years ago and it caused no end of issues, I removed it in the end. I then had a remap done buy a reputable company but it also caused no end of problems, it used to snap manifold studs regularly due to the heat created by having more power. I won't fiddle about with engines in this way again unless I really need too. I hope yours is ok Stubby.

It may be worth noting, that any remap done through the obd port is a no-no. This is where you will get problems.

Not familiar with the plug in boxes, but I guess these are easy to remove in the event of work needed to be done under warranty?

I had my nt400,done, they removed the ECU and reprogrammed it. I then had a warranty claim. Pleased to say they honoured it and never mentioned it, even after they had plugged in the computer and read the boost figures!

Edited by dig-dug-dan

Just make sure you measure fuel economy at the pump, not the truck computer.

These boxes work fine if you set them up right, they basically trick the engine into delivering more fuel. I've had an old style one on my Ranger for years, the only problem I had is it eating the DMF which is to be expected when you up the torque that much. Stuck a single mass in and has been fine since. If they throw an error code (ususally MAF sensor) then turn them down a bit.

I'm ordering one for my second Ranger. More modern ones intercept both the rail presure sensor and the boose pressure sensor (they call it twin channel) which should keep smoke readings etc more balanced.

Edited by doobin