Brush cutters

Aaron

Looking for decant brush cutter, must be capable of running a blade. I would of just bit the bullet and bought a stihl 560 but the husky back pack brush cutter has caught my eye?? It's 50cc one, not as powerful as 560 but not by much?? Any experienced users with opinions? Any other alternatives?

Aaron

Echo do a fantastic range of brush cutters. They have the advantage of high torque gearboxes so a 25cc cutter will the work of a 30-35cc one. It works too you also get a 2 year pro warranty too.

Finally one with a low vib collar. http://www.echo-tools.co.uk/index.php?id=329

Edited by WoodED

The 520 isn't a high torque head though (as its already 50cc). The 520 only exists because the 420 isn't very well balanced so they put a bigger engine and there you go its balanced. Still a great brushcutter though (as is the 420 which I have)

Echo do a fantastic range of brush cutters. They have the advantage of high torque gearboxes so a 25cc cutter will the work of a 30-35cc one. It works too you also get a 2 year pro warranty too.

Presumably a hi torque head means it is geared down to give increed torque at the expense of rpm. You might be able to run bigger diameter but would it not be slower cutting?

For my heavy line cutting it seems to work better if you have the power to keep the rpm high. Low rpm and the line is more likely to snap.

My point is make sure you get enough power to do what you have to do.As the Americans used to say there is no substitute for cubic inches.

i have used the back pack, i cant see the point to be honest. the harness that comes withe 545 and 555 is superior to the 553 unit. its also very heavy and awkward. the vibs are much higher, its more expensive, awkward to store and transport as the drive does not easily disconnect. stick with the 555/545, much better!

I recently bought a 560, we use it for clearing long grass & nettles, and have used it with a blade for clearing brambles and scrub. Can't fault it really has bags of power, took me a while to set the harness up to get it at the right angle but once that's done it's not missed a beat.

I have a stihl fs 400, 460 and a backpack fr 350 I think. For very steep slopes and banks the backpack comes into its own and is worth its weight in gold. I wouldn't want it as my main machine though as it is awkward to store and transport and kills your forearms after a day of it. A bungee from the loop handle to the harness helps take some of the weight.