French experience...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:confused1: No such thing!!:confused1:

I know!:001_rolleyes:

TY you say "how was I suppose to complete the faced with such odds" and "I know a farce when I see one"

I have been there and learned, I know never to go to a new company without some files a 7/32 3/16 404" and flat file with some handles will cover all bases.

At Merrist wood you have probably learrnt how to do everything in ideal circumstances with good kit, and was probably never presented with a challenge.

In all honesty it does sound like you was presented with very tall order, only if you'd said i've been in this industry years and never seen such incompetency, and not said i've newly acquired my chainsaw license (its not a license!) from Merrist Wood i'd of thought ouch what a harsh day you had.

As it stands all i think is welcome to the real world.

Still don't take my negative comments to heart i enjoyed reading your posts, your experiences are intresting and i'm not being sarcastic! I look forward to hearing more about your exploits and progression in the industry over in France.

I wish you well:cool1:

Enjoying the story so far. I find it interesting to see things from anothers perspective. Ty states that anything mechanical (including sharpening) has to be carried out by the mechanics due to union pressures, something we are lucky enough not to have to endure. It seems to me that its quite a culture shock to work abroad, different strokes for different folks. I'm sure in 5 years or so Ty will have learned an awful lot more, about the work, and the French way of doing things. Good luck in your adventures Ty.

Ty, I'd echo what Marc said above- you do get an idealised view of how the industry should be from college. I had almost exactly the same experiences when I left Merrist Wood in the mid-nineties and started for an English firm- terrible PPE, crap saws, climbing kits falling apart, and I almost walked away. But what I learned is that not all firms are the same, and you also do need to earn the right to complain by doing the job for a while.

From what you're saying about the quality or standard of work out there, you're sitting on a massive opportunity rather than a crap situation. Just stick it out for a while (even if it's just to learn how NOT to do it) and see how things progress.

I'd like to hear more about the industry in France, too. I'd quite like to work out there some time, so the more knowledge/experiences we get the better.

Best of luck.