Collective / Cooperative mill ownership

duncanswood

There’s a good number of very interesting threads on milling and the costs of the various kit options to be read here on Arbtalk.

The spend to get something decent, i.e. productive, safe, reliable and economic, appears to be more than just a casual purchase. Initial cost is one thing one must also factor in running costs (fuel/oil/blades), wear and tear, insurance, and speed / availability of spare parts too.

A viable return on investment can appear tricky to achieve, at least I am finding it so. I have been thinking about buying a mill of some description for a while but have yet to be convinced that such an investment is the right thing to do. I own a small woodland (53 acres) and there is a fair bit of mill worthy oak, ash, beech, and other hardwoods on our land, but not really enough to justify the purchase of a £4-5k mill. Doesn’t stop me wanting one though.

I would love to share or co-own a portable mill with someone in the area if such a scheme is workable. I doubt I would use a wood mill many more than ten or twelve days a year so a cooperative approach with like minded others in the area would seem to make sense, or at least maybe it is worth investigating. It could be a great way of reducing purchase and start up costs.

I have a friend who flies a light aircraft as a hobby. He owns a single engine four seater with seven other guys, all members of the same flying club. They all pay an equal share of running costs, hanger rental, maintenance, instrument upgrades, insurance, etc., and it works. No one in his syndicate could afford to buy and operate the plane individually but collectively, and by sharing the costs, they all get the benefit.

It would be nice to think that similar schemes could be workable in this business around the country. If three or four guys in one area, each with an interest in using a mill occasionally rather than every single day, got together to buy a rig then collectively they could get something really rather tasty (and more productive) rather than trying to make do with something crude or basic. Good way to share knowledge and experience too.

Reduce the start up and running costs by a third or a quarter and the potential return on investment begins to look very attractive indeed.

If anyone in the Bexhill / Catsfiled / Battle area of East Sussex is interested in exploring this idea further then please get in touch – PM or email to: [email protected]

Best wishes,

Chris

I like the idea in principle but can't honestly see it working other than a group of good friends due to the issues around breakages and maintenance as others have said. I think with some kit you want to be sure you know 100% what has happened to it (even if it's you that has been abusing it) - I wouldn't ever lend out one of my climbing ropes (rock or tree) or one of my chainsaws but lots of other tools I would.

I like the idea in principle but can't honestly see it working other than a group of good friends due to the issues around breakages and maintenance as others have said. I think with some kit you want to be sure you know 100% what has happened to it (even if it's you that has been abusing it) - I wouldn't ever lend out one of my climbing ropes (rock or tree) or one of my chainsaws but lots of other tools I would.

Could very quickly become ex friends

Saws, mill, money would never lend to friends (would/ have given money but never lend it)

Still got all my friends :thumbup: