Alpine tractor talk

the village idiot

I've just bought a uniforest 35M from Riko for my Pasquali. Can't wait to try it out. I need to winch trunks up a steep slope then onto a flat field where the tractor will be parked. Is it ok to do this in one pull as there is nothing in the field to attach a snatch block to? Or should I have the tractor parked right at the edge of the slope then use the tractor to drag them onto the flat?

• 3 weeks later...

I have had this week playing with the uniforest winch on the tractor and I am really impressed. Winching trees up a steep slope, causing almost zero damage to the ground and allowing us to process the timber and arisings on the flat. I have discovered its limits but it will pull a hell of a lot!b4f9faf7ff120b148b3b77e4abd51513.jpg8f22557252940ea60a1391407fc278ed.jpgcdbd76f514f4c2fea7b77e983f4520a1.jpg35d28f4b76e5e1e327d828622b7ba701.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

How does the agt 835 with forestry cab perform in terms of extracting wood with a forest winch or a skidding grapple? Does anyone here use it also with a mulcher or flail mower? Is it possible for taller persons to work with it or is it really small? I'm currently looking for a small tractor for extracting wood from gardens and small forestry work, and in a few uears perhaps use it also for flail mowing small forest tracks. Is it suitable for this work?

How does the agt 835 with forestry cab perform in terms of extracting wood with a forest winch or a skidding grapple? Does anyone here use it also with a mulcher or flail mower? Is it possible for taller persons to work with it or is it really small? I'm currently looking for a small tractor for extracting wood from gardens and small forestry work, and in a few uears perhaps use it also for flail mowing small forest tracks. Is it suitable for this work?

When I had mine I loved using it with the skidding grapple. It's not a full size tractor so obviously you can only lift and drag so much but generally a really good tool for moving longer lengths over a hundred metres or so. Combined with the front blade you could create a low stack ad well. For what you are saying sounds ideal.

Winching was functionally fine but if you work on your own it's a sod having to get in and out of the cab a lot. If you had someone working with you it would be fine. The extra guarding is a real plus point. I ran a uniforest 35m.

I had a 1.35m medium duty flail on it and it was a good set up. I used to do miles and miles of woodland path edges or rides. Bramble or light scrub being it's forte. Put the front blade down to just above ground level to give protection against stumps etc. Main problem was not enough gears though, the 2x3 forward was frustrating as it didn't feel optimal in some situations. A 2x5 with some between its 1st and 2nd; then 2nd and 3rd would have been useful. The 3rd gear was too quick for any PTO based work.

Comfort - cab decent some weather protection (aside from the obvious safety aspect) but it wasn't 'comfortable' for long sessions (4 hours plus), I found my knees a bit sore as you are in quite a rigid postion. I'm 6'2" so not best suited to a compact.

I sold mine to get my multione as it's gets far more use than the tractor ever did. If I was buying again though I'd go for the 860 forestry or the bidirectional and have some underbody protection fitted. It has the extra power and gears.

If you have enough work for it then I'd go for it.