Alpine tractor talk

the village idiot

• 2 months later...

Hi Alpine users. I Just bought a BCS Victor 400 which had been sat for 2 years in a barn unused, came in from Italy (bought it off the Italian fella due to divorce). Only 450hrs but the man was a muppet and it needed work to get it sorted. A couple of questions:

Jonnygurkha - I too have just bought a Hycrack for it, where are you running your 'emergency string' to?

Anyone - I have drained and replaced the transmission/hydraulic oil in the rear reservoir as it was very foamy and looked like bad chicken soup. I know water had got in through the gear selectors not having gators or covers. These are now replaced, breather vent cleared, re-filled with 80/90 gear oil but after running for 3 days working hard, chicken soup returned. I have just drained again raising front end on ramps to get fluid to drain back. Any ideas to cause before I re-fill as its an expensive oil change?

Thanks in advance

Hi Alpine users. I Just bought a BCS Victor 400 which had been sat for 2 years in a barn unused, came in from Italy (bought it off the Italian fella due to divorce). Only 450hrs but the man was a muppet and it needed work to get it sorted. A couple of questions:

Jonnygurkha - I too have just bought a Hycrack for it, where are you running your 'emergency string' to?

Anyone - I have drained and replaced the transmission/hydraulic oil in the rear reservoir as it was very foamy and looked like bad chicken soup. I know water had got in through the gear selectors not having gators or covers. These are now replaced, breather vent cleared, re-filled with 80/90 gear oil but after running for 3 days working hard, chicken soup returned. I have just drained again raising front end on ramps to get fluid to drain back. Any ideas to cause before I re-fill as its an expensive oil change?

Thanks in advance

Hey Mr Org,

My Quad 20 has an engine pull stop button on the dash that I run the stop cord to. Works fine.

Hope you get on well with your BCS. I'm in the process of part exchanging my Quad 20 for a Pasquali Eos with loader. I believe BCS, Pasquali and Ferrari are all the same.

Hi, thanks for the reply, I think you're right some parts are stamped with Ferrari. The power of the little 400 is awesome (pulled my 3.5t loaded Canter out of the mud up hill before xmas). Flail cutting rides with a 5ft Del Morini was easy and less eco-impact than my old IH. Sadly the BCS doesn't have a kill switch so may have to fit one if my 2 stooges use the hycrack.

Any idea on the soup like tansmission/hyd oil?

On the Holders I ran a string round a pulley from a yacht to pull the hand throttle off and just used a string to the stop control on the Ford.

Thanks in advance

Why not drain the oil, warm it to working temperature and see if the water settles out? You could use a water absorber if it settles as a layer, else decant it. I wouldn't boil it as this will do the additives no good.

Just for info should any others be interested I have just spoken to local agri mechanic who said:

"some alpine tractors have a 'weakness' concerning water ingress through the gear lever gators. Not the gators visible externally but the circular rubber ones on a pinch clip where the levers enter the tractor." (I had already replaced these as they were perished and this is where the water has got in over time so worth checking them if your machine is older than 5 years and been outside a lot). "Once water is in the shared hyd/transmission reservoir it is a pig to clear out and despite doing a couple of oil changes will still whisk up with the new oil to foamy soup. Add a small amount of diesel to the oil before changing it and run it preferably with a implement on to get the oil warmed up and then do a change. The diesel within the oil will help in absorbing some of the water and more will be removed than by just doing an oil change. It may take a couple of changes but better to spend money on oil than bearings and gears."

I will post the outcome just incase its useful for any of you. To add, Killworth machinery customer service is the best I have encountered for parts! :thumbup:

Hi all Happy New Year everyone. I'm thinking of putting my Holder A55f tractor/skidder up for sale. Not sure what its worth. I'm looking for a bigger machine. What have people got? Please PM me. Just trying to sort out how much money I've got in the kitty.

i will give you £3150:thumbup1:

Hi all Happy New Year everyone. I'm thinking of putting my Holder A55f tractor/skidder up for sale. Not sure what its worth. I'm looking for a bigger machine. What have people got? Please PM me. Just trying to sort out how much money I've got in the kitty.

How much ? What hours ? Etc

Hi, it's done 200hr since total rebuild. Its had all new bearings, driveshaft, new roof, new wheel arches, new cables, rebuilt butt plate, new 16ply tires, new pipes and fuel line, the rams have been redone, seriously heavy duty mesh to protect the driver and cab braced with a further 2 triangles of CDS tubing to make it ultra safe. This tractor does everything it should do and more. There's a rebuild thread on my Facebook page if you want to go and have a look at it there, https://www.facebook.com/P-Hughes-Co-Tree-Surgery-Forestry-North-Wales-288570637825929/

I'm not giving it away, it really is a fantastic little tractor. It's just that I'm thinking of selling it to help finance a new project. I'm looking for a County, Valtra, mB Trac.

Edited by Petemate390xp