Alpine tractor talk

the village idiot

Currently looking at getting a forestry winch to fit to the alpine. I have a project coming up that I would like to pull Ash sticks up a steep slope to a flat field on top. I'm looking at uniforest maybe 40E. Anyone with any experience or advice? Can forestry winches be used for assisted felling also?

I use this on my Kubota (35e I think 300kg, wouldn't want much heavier) sensational bit of kit, yesterday I was dragging willow across a river and up a slope, easy stuff.

As for felling it is a great asset, you don't have to set the line too high on the tree to get it over, saves a lot of time.

IMG_1225.JPG

2 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

I use this on my Kubota (35m I think 300kg, wouldn't want much heavier) sensational bit of kit, yesterday I was dragging willow across a river and up a slope, easy stuff. The one large piece of trunk that was too much we doubled up with a pulley and up she came, good as gold.

As for felling it is a great asset, you don't have to set the line too high on the tree to get it over, saves a lot of time. Sorry about the duplication!

IMG_1225.JPG

Edited by Mick Dempsey

• 3 weeks later...

I run a BCS Invictus 38hp machine. It is a great little thing which does all I ask of it in our woodland with little ground disturbance. It goes places no other tractor can get to and given that our ground is hilly it is far less likely to roll over on slopes than conventional tractors.

Recently I have been looking at replacing the BCS with something equipped with a shuttle gearbox. The hydrostatic or shuttle gearboxed BCS tractors, the Ferraris, Pasqualis and Carraros are all fearsomely expensive but I found a machine made by a company named Wisconsin Engineering, the Yukon W-5000.

Made in the Czech Republic, 48 hp, shuttle gearbox, permanent 4x4, articulated, front and rear linkages with PTOs, cab or ROPS, choice of tyres and a two year warranty all for circa £15k. In design it is no looker but if it gets the job done and is reliable then it could be outstanding value. I am giving serous thought to bringing one into the country and giving it a try.

No UK dealer but details at: http://www.wisconsineng.com/en/produkt/w-5000-yukon-articulated-utility-tractor/

I use an Igland 3201 3 tonne winch purchased a couple of years ago from JASP Wilson. It was not overly expensive, works every time, is quiet, not a heavyweight, mechanically it is simple and straightforward with very little to go wrong.

There may be better winches out there but I am completely happy with my Igland.

Good support from Wilsons also. Recently they were delivering in my area to another customer - a chappie from Wilsons rang me to say they would be nearby and would they like me to call in to check all is well with the winch. Nice.

• Like 1

We have a Bernardi 3tonne winch on our 35hp BCS and its been great and shifted some biggish lumps with snatch block. Just make sure you have butt plate against a stump or dug in well. Make sure to winch inline with tractor (nor at angle from winch)