Go big or go home

mistahbenn

Some great riggin there.

I can't help but think though in those tiny yards that some of the bigger bits are a bit pointless. It would take the groundies too long to sort out. Maybe take my them in 1or 2 pieces and not maxing out the rigging/space would make the jobs flow smoother.

Still good work all the same.

Cheers for posting Ben.

I agree on the space thing, I have gone big in the past only to watch as groundies struggle to manage with some huge lump, sometimes locking it off, then cutting the tips off, lowering it, locking it off again..... painfully slow, especially if its a cold day, the climber ends up freezing waiting for the guys to clear their feet. These days we often take up multiple slings and lower the same amount at once but pre cut by the climber. So instead of one unwieldy lump you get four manageable bits. Its a lot quicker and sometimes more work for the climber is no bad thing in a scottish winter.

Some nice rigging there all the same.

agreed. big rigging is impressive but i'd rather keep things running smoothly sending down smaller manageable bits where possible. plus i'm scared :blushing:

edit: i'll also rig off according to the groundmans experience, not my own. There's few groundies I trust to run the ropes spot on everytime. Not a risk worth taking.

Exactly it's all down to experience of the crew! We always discuss how much to take if it's gonna be big. Communication is key and without that a big balls climber will not have much of a future :) sometimes going big and cutting Amal on the ground is much more beneficial, from experience.