Hi from new member and advice on starting in arb

mungo

Sorry if this has come up before but couldn’t find anything similar when searching the forum.

I live in Southampton and am interested in working in arboriculture, but I’ve not got any industry experience. Although I currently work in an office I have some previous experience of landscape gardening and conservation volunteering so have a good idea of doing a physical job outdoors

I’d be grateful for any advice on the best way to get started and get work.

I was thinking my options are:

- Level 2 or 3 diploma at Sparsholt – Is it desirable to have this type of qualification in addition to relevant tickets? But a year or 2 is a long time without full time wage

- Trainee position – only problem is all the vacancies in and around Southampton seem to be for experienced people

- Short course in relevant tickets – Is it possible to get work with tickets but no other experience?

- Work experience – is it possible to get unpaid experience without any qualifications/experience?

Thanks for your help

You really need to start picking up some qualifications such as cs30 and 31 at least you start working with a saw, snedding, cross cutting and small felling.Without these any work you may pick up even unpaid is going to to limited to dragging brash and you'll probably will get bored pretty quickly . Once you have these basic qualifications your path should become clearer. You may wish to further your career working on the ground or you may fancy going into climbing. I hope this is helpful

Yes got to agree, get basic tickets then employer will be able to use you with a saw legally. Its a lower cost route for you to test the water.

It is hard work physically day in, day out but rewarding with its challenges.

I would offer yourself to where they want experienced trainees. Do a free Saturday morning trial. You get a taste of the job and they get to see you in action. Giving away free labour for a morning is better than commiting in other ways which may not work for you. If it works out someone may ask you back and build it from there.

• 2 weeks later...

Get the qualifications mentioned in previous replies and get yourself out there, meet people in the game, work for them, gain as much experience as you can and above all listen to anyone experienced giving you advice and take it on board.

Watch videos on here or youtube, Reg Coates, Adam Bourne, Ian Flatters, Ben Draper, Steve Bullman and more to mention put up good videos doing work the correct way, watch and take note, we never had this luxury when we were starting out.

Most of all be keen to learn, forget the money to start with, I started 20 years ago on £15 a day.....the wage a starter gets now is not too bad to that but then again I could get on a bus then for about 20p:001_rolleyes: