Elm burrs turned green?

MattyF

You will need a good strong lathe and popeye type arms for most of the bowl savers on the market, they "can" save you wood but in my experience they are very expensive and over rated. We can waste a little wood now and again to get a result, after all it does grow on trees.

Nice Burrs MattF, if you don't turn / rough turn them soonish, store them carefully, as they'll take many years to 'dry' as they are, and in that time you may find woodworm have moved in.

Easiest thing to do is bag em up, or seal the cut face with some old paint and treat with woodworm killer.

Also you should be able to get several pieces from each lump without any special coring tools. Though with a simple coring knife (big supported parting tool) you can cut cones, and although you don't need to be popeye for that, your lathes does need some grunt.

Will be interested to see what you do.

You will need a good strong lathe and popeye type arms for most of the bowl savers on the market, they "can" save you wood but in my experience they are very expensive and over rated. We can waste a little wood now and again to get a result, after all it does grow on trees.

that video is on a jet 3520B and popeye arms i have but they are not used that much on the woodcut bowlsaver as they utilise physics rather than brute force as in the video i am holding the camera and only using my left hand to pull the handle round.

£250 at the time i bought it paid for itself in hours after it saved some large bowl centers in walnut, catalpa and elm.

other bowlsavers are ridiculously overpriced i admit but i think they are over engineered.

with a sharp tip and patience you can use that woodcut on a lathe like my old one that had 3/4hp motor.

I've considered getting a bowl saver on occasions but apart from the cost have always wondered if it ends up forcing your bowls all into a similar form.

logrod, it can make the bowls look the same shape if you are trying to get lots out of the same bit but if you cut them a bit thicker this gives you freedom to change the shape from the radius of the cutter