Calling all log sellers

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, very nice looking product. I like these kind of small scale setups. Reminds me of my own. I note the recent extraction activity in the other thread 'forwarding on sensitive sites'. Whats the system from there on back at the landing deck. You mentioned a splitter, so I assume there is no other mechanical advantage other than a chainsaw? Looks like enjoyable work none the less.

Hi, very nice looking product. I like these kind of small scale setups. Reminds me of my own. I note the recent extraction activity in the other thread 'forwarding on sensitive sites'. Whats the system from there on back at the landing deck. You mentioned a splitter, so I assume there is no other mechanical advantage other than a chainsaw? Looks like enjoyable work none the less.

Thanks Rowan,

Yes, I have a very simple set-up, just a chainsaw, chainsaw bench and small 8ton log splitter.

The sensible option would be to get a processor but I quite enjoy doing it long hand, especially the spliiting as I just plug myself into an audio book.

• 3 weeks later...
Nice one!

I'll be interested to hear how you get on.

If you get the chance it might be worth trying a double stack like the ones in the photo. Obviously the two cages need to be well fastened to each other.

A single domed cage holds 0.8 cube, a double with flat top holds 1.25 cube. You'd need a crane or similar as I doubt a tractor loader would lift high enough.

They lift off perfectly.:thumbup1:

They lift off perfectly.:thumbup1:

Ah! Excellent! Thanks for trying that out.

Over the last few days I have been experimenting with a different fastening technique. The cages can be held together in a ring, and to each other in a stack with a few cable ties. (Previously I was bending the fencing wires back round themselves).

Using this method you can simply snip the ties to release the logs leaving you with a length of fencing at the end rather than a cumbersome ring. Much better for storage if you are short of space.

Hope that makes sense!:001_smile: