My Husky 346xp has a 41.7mm piston....??

Heteractis

Hi everyone,

New to the forum, joined as I am a bit confused... I bought a second hand 346xp a few years back and after using it a fair bit the last few months it has started to play up so I gave it a full service and tuned the carb. After a few uses it started to play up again. Checked compression and got 125 psi but only after 10 to 15 pulls, 3-4 pulls gave very little.

Stripped the cylinder and could see the piston and cylinder bore was scored. Checked on ebay etc. for repair kit and found either 44mm or 44.3mm kits so thought I had better measure what it has now only to find cylinder bore and piston both measure 41.7mm....??

Why would anyone fit a smaller piston and where did it come from...?! Seems really odd to me. Is this a standard thing to do? I haven'tffound anything useful on the Webso thought iI would try here.

I assume I can just buy the 44.3mm kit, fit it and get the saw working like it should have always been?

Any advise greatly appreciated, its the older 346xp the older one.

Thanks

Ben

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to operators manuals -

Early 346xp was 42.0 mm bore ,32.5 mm stroke and 45.0 cc displacement.

Late 346xp was 44.3mm bore,32.5mm stroke and 50.1 cc displacement.

Changed towards the end of 2007.

According to operators manuals -

Early 346xp was 42.0 mm bore ,32.5 mm stroke and 45.0 cc displacement.

Late 346xp was 44.3mm bore,32.5mm stroke and 50.1 cc displacement.

Changed towards the end of 2007.

The production change was from 2007 week 19. :wink:

If your cylinder is good to go put a OE piston back in and get cutting. Figure out why you fried the other one or does it just need new rings?

I did a 372 that was 120psi. Put new set of caber rings in and it was 140psi first heat cycle ( less then a min or 2 idle and blips). Dont know what it is up to now after broken in, sold saw.

Many thanks for the replies, so I guess it isn't possible to just bolt in a 44mm kit then?

The cylinder isn't too bad I think, as I said it does get compression but only after a good few pulls. Maybe a quick hone would be enough, I will check out the section as mentioned by Spud.

I think the reason it failed is because we tinkered with the carb - I checked through the exhaust port for scoring only a few weeks back, just before I serviced it and then had the carb 'tuned', and there wasn't any then.

Assuming I can get the cylinder sorted then I assume I can just buy the 42mm Meteor piston set off flea bay?

Thanks guys