firewood kiln - How do you build one? does anyone know

Joy Yeomans

polly tunnel.

Dry your logs in a polytunnel - on hot days I have registered 40 degrees + and it feels like hit a wall going inside...!

Have the doors open each end and let the air waft through... Kilning logs with dehumidifiers or anything else like this is an unneccesary waste of energy IMO... Let the sun do it - it's free :thumbup:

only wanting to know about it, as when we get down our large stock of seasoned wood , you always come last end of spring start using up your last stocks, and theyve hung about with snow on and got very wet, and the poly tunnel is good, we do use it, brilliant for sticks, but thought we could power something withe the waste we get from making sticks, and the huge amount of sawdust we have - i know once it comes out the kiln it sucks up the moisture in the air etc, but thought we could attempt something with a storage container and a blower attached to a dragon burner or similiar and wanted to know if anyone has tried??

we dont sell by weight only by volume, and when at the end of the season youve sold you 1,000 odd tonne stockpile - you get desperate to dry stuff quick! - yes polytunnel works, got one - but thought about a burner to use up the mountain of bark,stick offcuts, wood waste and mountain (big big mountain) of sawdust

just a thought - thanks for info

joy and rohan

• 10 months later...

I agree with all the comments about letting time & the sun drying out logs for free.

But i find myself in the same boat as Joy & Rohan. Unlike them i'm just starting out on the firewood side of things & have loads of green logs. I have 3 20ft containers in a tarmaced yard & at the moment also use the space between 2 containers but can spare one of them to fashion something...

I was thinking those tall cage trolleys which delivery trucks use to move stock in & out of shops would be great to store logs. Anyone got about 30 for free? :001_tt2:

Don't you just love todays culture of i want it & i want it now?