Any recommends for wheeled strimmers?

Woodworks

This is only for home use but we have lot of rough areas around the yard and a large rough lawn that often gets too long to easily mow during wet periods. Strimming is a slow task and to be honest I am no expert with one anyway. Borrowing a 6.5 HP DR wheeled strimmer and seems a handy bit of kit and seems to do the job of the mower and the strimmer. Not used one before today and not sure what to look out for so any advice welcome.

Thanks

I got a used DR unit - 2 smoke! Far better than carrying something and will take 6mm cord! But will throw a bigger 4 stroke at it when it dies! Choices are fairly limited tbh but I would recommend wearing goggles at the least.

DR has to the best IMO Beau, it's not just build quality but also design that matters. Some of the 'pretenders' have the wrong balance and too small a 'ball'. This results in the ball constantly getting snagged in ruts. The DR floats well.

Good to hear Barry as I can buy the machine I am borrowing. A lot of the areas I would use it on are rutted ground left from the tractor so quite hard on the axles. Are they reasonably tough?

Yes Pete goggles seem essential with this brute. Also found my hands quite tingly after 1/2 an hour so some anti vibe gloves will be used. Got too many friends with the beginnings of white-finger

Any chance of a video Beau ?:biggrin:

Sounds ideal for electric fenced hedges.:thumbup1:

Got to take this one back now but may well be my mine soon :001_smile:

This video is fairly representative of what it can do except the 1m high grass at the speed shown due to lack of power.

[ame]

[/ame]

I have an old on which I got off ebay has a 5hp honda it takes the biggest strimer cord you can get.Its the best thing I own long grass ,weeds, nettles all down at walking pace .Eye protection is a must and use anti vibe gloves.Far better than a strimmer with a blade.People do give me a funny look if i turn up with it but soon run for cover once I start it,can do a whole day strimming without changing the cord.

I never understood why people carry strikers about flicking stones at their teeth. I have a very old honda 4 stroke. I think it spins slower but has more torque I get a lot less thrown at me. The negs would be getting the wheels through the ruts. Also narrow paths are hard work and following a wall involves a bit of dancing other than that built to last less emmissions in your face. I think they are more ideal for large areas of rough grass.

I have an old on which I got off ebay has a 5hp honda it takes the biggest strimer cord you can get.Its the best thing I own long grass ,weeds, nettles all down at walking pace .Eye protection is a must and use anti vibe gloves.Far better than a strimmer with a blade.People do give me a funny look if i turn up with it but soon run for cover once I start it,can do a whole day strimming without changing the cord.

Yes did notice how long the cord lasted. Not sure it would have lasted all day without getting annoyingly short but certainly the few hours I was attacking yard. Same job with a strimmer and I would have been replacing the line every 20 mins or so.