Strimmer wire

thorndene forestry

Hi,

I run Husky 545s and Stihl FS410s and was wondering which 3mm line you would use??

It's for grass and woody weeds all intermingled for 9 hrs/day.

Blades (plastic or metal) aren't an option due to site rules.

We have used Stihl yellow square, Oregon red round and Husq Whisper Red.

All soaked in water.

All superb on the thick grass, none much use on the woodier weeds.

Have used the 'Jet Cut' style heads in the past and found them to be sh......

Anyone got a favourite or a secret tip??

Cheers in advance.

Rob

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I run Husky 545s and Stihl FS410s and was wondering which 3mm line you would use??

It's for grass and woody weeds all intermingled for 9 hrs/day.

Blades (plastic or metal) aren't an option due to site rules.

We have used Stihl yellow square, Oregon red round and Husq Whisper Red.

All soaked in water.

All superb on the thick grass, none much use on the woodier weeds.

Have used the 'Jet Cut' style heads in the past and found them to be sh......

Anyone got a favourite or a secret tip??

Cheers in advance.

Rob

I use the Oregon " Jet cut " head and found it to be superb ! I use " Diamond edge " square line . 4.0 mm for snot and shite and 3.0 mm just grass . No guard and make it about 8 or 9 inches long to give a wide sweep without slowing it down too much . Use the 4 line head but only insret 2 lines in the lower slots ( closer to the deck and keeps the nut resessed . With the 2 line head the nut hits the deck ) You dont need 4 as it slows it down so 2 is fine and gives a waider sweep . Husky 545RX and 550 RX so 45cc and 50cc .

DSCF0035.jpg.88156864df026b6773ff01912e425500.jpg

DSCF0034.jpg.765b44dc7e41802dd161dfb337002588.jpg

Edited by Stubby

I use the Oregon " Jet cut " head and found it to be superb ! I use " Diamond edge " square line . 4.0 mm for snot and shite and 3.0 mm just grass . No guard and make it about 8 or 9 inches long to give a wide sweep without slowing it down too much . Use the 4 line head but only insret 2 lines in the lower slots ( closer to the deck and keeps the nut resessed . With the 2 line head the nut hits the deck ) You dont need 4 as it slows it down so 2 is fine and gives a waider sweep . Husky 545RX and 550 RX so 45cc and 50cc .

No guard is not an option either!! Seen it done on plenty of occasions.

Then seen that company get booted off sites for it!!

4mm cord on the 545RX would slow revs down far too much to work due to the density (See FB link on website).

FS410 is only rated to be fit with 2.7mm cord!!

Thanks for helping though :001_smile:

[quote name=

4mm cord on the 545RX would slow revs down far too much .

Thanks for helping though :001_smile:[/quote]

I would have to respectfully dissagree . Been using 4.0mm for a few years ( see pic ) . Some times get it too long but a quick buzz on the concreate and it revs up fine . It is a compramise I know but so is life . :001_smile:

I used to strim a lot of rough sites and used to use a Stihl FS450 with Oregon flexi-blade 2.65mm, it used to be great but the lads I know who use it now have said that it is different nowadays and snaps easily. It might be that they have changed the material they make it out of.

i found the oregon nylium pretty hard wearing and the stihl red 3mm a pretty good all rounder

i always used sawtec 3mm but cant get it around here anymore then i got some stihl green 3mm this year it was recomended to me i have found it crap not happy at all i will look out for the red one sounds better :thumbup::thumbup:

I used to strim a lot of rough sites and used to use a Stihl FS450 with Oregon flexi-blade 2.65mm, it used to be great but the lads I know who use it now have said that it is different nowadays and snaps easily. It might be that they have changed the material they make it out of.

Or it could just be too dry. You will get the best out of any cord if it's stored in water.