Canadian Arborist Interested in International Work

Spruce Springsteen

Hi my name is Nathan, I am a 21 year old apprentice arborist in Saskatoon Saskatchewan Canada on track to write my ISA certification by the end of summer 2015. Upon completion of my certification I have been strongly considering working abroad for a year in hopes of learning and experiencing new cultures and ecosystems. I consider myself to be physically fit and knowledgeable about Western Canadian Arboriculture and id really like to broaden my horizons in terms of both work and experience, my climbing skills however are more limited as my training has been mostly directed to ground and boom truck pruning although I am eager to greatly increase and establish myself as a climber. All this being said about myself personally I consider myself to be laid back and I have both a strong respect for both people and nature. I have heard Sweden is a great place to practice, however im open and interested in hearing any and all stories and opinions of countries and places to work and live in as well as places that pay higher than usual for professional tree work!

Happy and Safe Cutting,

-Nathan

Edited by Spruce Springsteen

Welcome, liking the avatar name, it conjures images of a young lad bounding up a spruce with a spring in his step.

I realise it's a play on the boss Bruce (for the benefit of pedantic arb talkers)

Personally I would go with the Scandinavian option, they seem to get on with it more. Have a can do attitude, whereas in Britannia these days there seems to be a million unreal reasons why we can't do it. Health and safety to an excess, everybody else's rights . Etc.

I'd go for Sweden though I've never been and then maybe spend a month in the uk before going home. I'm sure many on here would be glad to have you usefully tag along.