which size saw do use most in froestry?

cessna

no idea how you guys runs 560s, you would need several a day! :lol:

I agree! My boss seems to think there is no alternative for some silly reason, he's not the one trying to start the bloody things on a hot day in the woods when they keep cutting out!

Very good saws when running well, the newer ones seem better, but I wouldn't put my own money on one.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the 346xp has problems and now the 550xp is playing up again. lads are felling medium trees with 441 so ordered 550xp and 261 with 15" bars and see how reliable the husky is now compared to the ultra reliable stihl. but the lads prefer more power from the huskies

Well the 346xp has problems and now the 550xp is playing up again. lads are felling medium trees with 441 so ordered 550xp and 261 with 15" bars and see how reliable the husky is now compared to the ultra reliable stihl. but the lads prefer more power from the huskies

The relatively few 550/560 etc. starting issues I have heard of has ultimately turned out to be operator errors. 346 issues are almost unheard of.

The MS261 isn't known to be particularly reliable, and it also is too large and clumcy for a 50cc saw. Same with the 50cc Dolmars. An important part of the reason is the inboard clutch design(s).

I use a 261 on either a 13 or 15 for most jobs- 1st thinnings, brashing, trashing hardwood for the harvestor, snedding, trees up to about 18". But then use a 365 on an 18" for everything else.

:thumbup1: FCA have just raved about the 261. I had one and liked it; not as torquey as a 5105 or light as a 115 but I loathed the 346; dull dulll saw.

I cut big edge trees mostly so i bore cut/double cut everything.

Dolmar 7900 79cc, 20" bar for real biguns, echo 610 on a 64 link chain, think thats a small 18". both on 3/8 full chisel.

Would buy a new echo or dolmar in a heartbeat over the others now.

husky/sthil have proved badly made and overpriced now. no idea how you guys runs 560s, you would need several a day! :lol:

Second that.

Not sure many of the answers to the OP are actually forestry specific; rather arb...

Didn't realise til I just reread the fca the 261 has the automatic chain tensioner one of our lads had some trouble with this on another saw

Are you referring to the tool less quick tensioner on the MS 261 C-BM ?:confused1:

The MS 261 C-M is available with the normal 2 nut cover.:thumbup1:

My 550xpg has developed a reluctance to start when hot and recently it's become an intermittent fault with no variation in how I start it. The saws new too. Still the best floorsaw I've ever bought.

My 550xpg has developed a reluctance to start when hot and recently it's become an intermittent fault with no variation in how I start it. The saws new too. Still the best floorsaw I've ever bought.

Time obviously isn't money for you boys. How you put up with intermittent moody saws is beyond me.