which size saw do use most in froestry?

cessna

Depending what I'm working on:

550xpg - 15"

362 C-M VW - 18"

660 - 30"

550 is so light, manoeuvrable, responsive but a bit of a screamer on the ears day in day out. Great for snedding.

362 tends to be the first choice nowadays. Light enough to to use all day, sweeter tone to it - easier on the ears. Bit grabby on full chisel and pushing chain. Goes through a bit more fuel. Often use it when rooting blown.

660 has plenty power but a bit of a guzzler on the Gogo juice! Tend to use it only on big big stuff as my arms can die a death using it all day. Difficult to bore in. Wouldn't mind a 22" on it, would be a weapon!! 😁

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

550 on a 15 325 8 pin

560 on a 15 3/8 8 pin

Tbh I'm quite taken with the 550 , may get more done on the 560 but feel like I've had enough by 3pm !! 550 definitely keeps you fresher and is nicer on slopes hard sites, not sure how it's going to run on the 8 pin as I only fitted it weds after having to strip the saw from Sheeps wool around the drum I thought why not , changed the one on my misses to an 8 pin a few weeks back and she has not complained but don't know if she's really used it and it has an exhaust mod any way.

But day to day it's a 50cc or 60cc on 15"

Somehow 16" feels more right on both size saws to me :biggrin:, but I use up to 20" on the 60cc ones, when needed.

The lighter 60cc saws do handle better with a 16" though (MS361W and 560xpg).

I cut big edge trees mostly so i bore cut/double cut everything.

Dolmar 7900 79cc, 20" bar for real biguns, echo 610 on a 64 link chain, think thats a small 18". both on 3/8 full chisel.

Would buy a new echo or dolmar in a heartbeat over the others now.

husky/sthil have proved badly made and overpriced now. no idea how you guys runs 560s, you would need several a day! :lol: