National Forest Thinnings for sale

Iain H

We did a demonstration on a site we are working in the National forest last week and are now looking for a market for either wholesale logs collected from site, wholesale logs delivered from site in 25 cubic meter trailer. Large billets suitable for biomass boilers either collected or delivered and some processor size timber. Total amount available around 400 cubic meters (loose logs)[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kduI7YJFqT4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kduI7YJFqT4[/ame]

59766d6291b6d_bilkelogs.jpg.b4a4b4c7cd3b983faec4a582d406192b.jpg

Edited by Iain H
Add picture

I had to Google The National Forest. Didn't realise you were established by the Government in April 1995 and are a non-departmental public body sponsored by the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra).

No wonder you've so much kit.

I had to Google The National Forest. Didn't realise you were established by the Government in April 1995 and are a non-departmental public body sponsored by the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra).

No wonder you've so much kit.

National forest own the camera taking the video! They are trying to promote thinning in the area. I am working a site in the area as a trial to see if it is feasible.

I am hoping for around £40 per cube processed logs collected plus vat but until we have worked a full block and costed the job i will not know for sure. It is a trial site 6ha first thinning 15 year old mixed broadleaf woodland. Its going to be tight to make a return and pay the landowner for the timber but that is the plan.

Landowner received a grant for ride widening and coppicing work which has covered some of the cost. It is a trial and as such i will not know the full economics of it until the job is finished. Assuming we can the equivalent of 8 cube of split logs per day i think the system will work. I have based that on extracting the equivalent of 60 cube of split logs a day and we can process 40 cube of logs per day with the bilke so £31.25 per cube cost in a log. All depends on what we can get cut in a day.

so is this your main job ? forestry? sorry to go on but I can't get my head round repayments and running cost of the kit you've got and running the first thinning "as a trial " that hopefully pays off. plus workers wages. I couldn't do it you are either very brave with good backup or its a sideline and you are funded? its just we are an established forestry company and I couldn't even consider that

I have been contracting for 9 years now and built up over time. Main work has always been tree planting and follow up maintenance but have been involved with firewood and thinning work for 5 years now. Started with small vimek minimaster then farma 6 ton trailer then got a grant towards the vimek 606. Mainly do thinning for our own use as firewood. Like you say there is not much profit in selling timber at roadside! I own all my kit so no worries with repayments and smaller kit doesn't cost so much to run for instance the forwarder will do a full day on 25 litres of diesel. Like i say it is a trial to see how things work out and it may well bite me but nothing ventured nothing gained! It will revolve around getting a fair price for processed logs straight out of the wood to wholesale market or to biomass boiler market. Massive potential in the National Forest over the next few years. Do you run a harvester? I have not seen a machine that could cope with hardwood first thinnings?

We had a look at a small kesla head on a track machine that would be suitable you could get a harvester in but take out a little more in the lines.

fair play at having a go your braver than me as the currant firewood market is pretty bad . We need a good winter.