Lumag CS100 clone?!

Big T

A few thoughts...

I've never been told by any dealer that spares are a nightmare to get hold of!

They will also not tell you how expensive the spares will be.

Immediate short term savings are usually lost through subsequent costs.

When a machine is broken down it doesn't matter how cheap it was.

Do you really need to own a small chipper? how about hiring something till you have the funds.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally agree with you there Pete, but it is getting increasingly difficult to judge the quality of a product from its country of origin.

Many reputable, quality companies are now building their machines (or components) in China, but the quality has not suffered at all. This is because they are building their machines in china as opposed to having their machines built in China

These major brands have their own facilities in China, using Chinese labour but with Western management and standards, so no loss in quality but a decrease in cost of production. There is nothing wrong with seeing the 'made in PRC' badge on this kit, it is very good stuff.

But others are having their kit made in China by a Chinese Manufacturer and this is where the problem lies. The Chinese will, it seems, make almost anything and at various quality levels. But it seems to me that even their best is not quite good enough.

I know someone who has a lot of kit made in China and badged with his own brand name. He has a constant struggle to get the standards up, and they easily slip back when he eases the pressure off. And the communication is a massive problem apparently. To be fair, his kit is good value for money and fully backed by a dealer network in the UK with full spares back up. But it is still what it is.

The sad thing is that anything seen to be made in China is now classed as second rate which is simply not fair.

Some fair comments here!:). Have just come across the Oxdale chippers, fitted with a 13hp Honda engine. I have emailed them asking about spares/price etc but might be a contender as they are an established British firm that seem to make decent log splitters etc! The machine I think is made in Italy but since it's got a Honda engine it must be sommit like it?!

• 1 year later...

I was also looking at the lumag 1000, with 100mm chip capacity, it just seemed underpriced, they stare it's all designed in Germany or Denmark and just assembled in China, would this make a difference? Also would fitting a Honda engine held as I've for a couple good honda engines here's. Also does anyone know if yo can fit a honda gs 200 to a pto driven chipper or would it require more power. I usually hire but if I buy a lumag for £1000 and get a year from it it's under my hire costs. I would love a timber wolf 13/75 but they get snapped up as soon as there listed so if anyone here's of one please let me know, best regards guys

I was also looking at the lumag 1000, with 100mm chip capacity, it just seemed underpriced, they stare it's all designed in Germany or Denmark and just assembled in China, would this make a difference? Also would fitting a Honda engine held as I've for a couple good honda engines here's. Also does anyone know if yo can fit a honda gs 200 to a pto driven chipper or would it require more power. I usually hire but if I buy a lumag for £1000 and get a year from it it's under my hire costs. I would love a timber wolf 13/75 but they get snapped up as soon as there listed so if anyone here's of one please let me know, best regards guys

Dam I just realised this threads 5 years old, stupid me. You just google something and expect it to be recent

The Lumag has a Loncin engine so spares are no problem,

http://www.lumag-maschinen.de/wp-content/uploads/datenblaetter2015/HC1000EW_V1.pdf

Abbey Garden Sales actually sell complete engines, you could fit either a Briggs & Stratton or a Honda engine but why would you unless the stock engine broke beyond repair which is unlikely. As for the rest of the chipper there isn't much to go wrong, the only moving parts are the chipper drum which runs on a couple of standard bearings that you can pick up in any motor factors and the drive belts which again are just regular V belts. The only thing that I'd have any doubts about are the actual chipper blades as I would hope the steel used in the more expensive chippers is better quality.

I bought a Chinese mini chipper myself, a Rock Machinery Venom which has a Briggs & Stratton engine, it's more expensive than the Lumag but when I bought mine I wasn't aware of the Lumag or I'd have considered it.

• 5 months later...

i'M IN THE MARKET FOR A cs100 but then i came across this italian job

Chipper PERUZZO mod. TB100-C

mini tracked chipper, gush!

i was in the process of ordering when i thought i'd look on ali baba and there are a few vendors of cs100 clones (the peruzzo is a cs100 clone too and used to partner green mech). While i appreciate the dynamics of manufacturing in high wage economies and do support 'british industry' where i can this is a supra national political problem, individual purchases mean little. I therefore am open to buying a cheap chinese chipper. Id be astonished if green mech make all the components in uk or even assemble them here. My current shortlist:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/2017-15HP-power-hot-sell-cheap_60006806045.html?spm=a2700.8239084.botutm.6.jCadqn

https://lizhongvehicle.en.alibaba.com/productshowimg/60434619438-804613012/2016_New_15hp_100mm_chipping_capacity_wood_chipper_wood_chipper_machine_wood_chipper_shredder.html?spm=a2700.8304367.0.0.80UN5g

These machines are identical or close in spec to the 18hp cs100 and can offer the same briggs and stratton engine with electric start. My question to the green mech poster is why not buy the same machine from china at a quarter of the cost: its $900!!!

Recently stripped my Stihl MS200T and was very surprised to see the carburettor 'Made in China'. The Honda engine on my Timberwolf chipper 'Made in China'.

I think the Zama carbs have always been made in China . The thing is the Chinese get asked to make things down to a price so they do . If you asked the Chinese to make a saw for £35 that you could sell for £70 they will oblige . You ask them to make a saw for £400 that you can sell for £650 they can also oblige .

[quote=Huxley McLoch;1576371. Id be astonished if green mech make all the components in uk or even assemble them here.

Actually, they are made under one roof in Alcester, Warwickshire. I would think that the factory employs in the order of a hundred people to cut steel, fold it, weld it, shot blast and powder coat it, assemble it, test it and deliver it to a dealers showroom. The building has a number of other tenants but we need more floor space so a new building is being erected for them so we can have their units. You are welcome to come and have a factory tour!

The logistics of the operation would give you an understanding of why things cost what they do.