Newbie: Is it OK to drill through replaceble nose?

Wulbert

I'm planning to fit a 28" Orgeon Powermatch bar to my new chainsaw mill. I need to drill the bar at either end to achieve this.

However, the ideal position for one hole is through a rivet, very close to the sprocket on this bar, which has a replaceable nose.

I'm concerned that drilling through the bar tip, and through whatever tongue & slot arrangement is in there, will be a bad idea and compromise the fixing of the nose.

There is another, larger rivet, which seems to be the main fixing point, for the nose which I do not need to touch.

Has anyone drilled through a replaceable nose bar like this and is it OK to do so?

OREGON brand Power Match Plus guide bars for professional chainsaw users

Surprised that worked, I had to use a carbide bit on a drill press on my Cannon bars.

Probably be ok with Oregon bars, but drilling through the centre of the sprocket nose might be difficult with a HSS bit, depends if the bearing centre is hardened and what it's made from.

FYI carbide drills for metal cutting can be made from sharpened mason bits apparently, never tried it, but you do need a green grinding wheel...

Thanks for the advice folks. It was fairly easy using a step drill method (going up in size gradually to 10mm) and plenty lube. It didn't seem to burn out the drills but they are good quality ones I got from an engineer friend.

I'm very surprised at the suggestion you can drill through the centre of the sprocket; I assume that it must be a roller bearing affair and you are drilling through no moving parts?

I avoided the radius of the sprocket and drilled about 6mm away from it. I was still able to mount the bar using this method.

Looking forward to this milling business.