Ash tree upsetting drive

Joseph W

Any particular reason why the tree is too close to the house?

Many..

It is an ash tree that will potentially grow to 20m tall with a 20m spread. It responds poorly to pruning and grows quickly.

In time it will completely dominate the house, dropping leaves, that will block the gutters, be a slip hazard in autumn and a pain for the home owner to clear up.

It is also likely to become a roost for birds who will deposit on everything underneath.

The drive way will become evermore cracked and likely to become a trip hazard.

The tree will cast shade on the house making it dark inside in the day time.

The future removal costs will be significantly increased as the tree will have to be carefully lowered over the house.

The resident may feel scared (with or without justification) that it is going to fail during high winds..

You or I might like to live in the shade of a tree (I have a pine 3m from my front window), but others don't. It is not an amazing tree IMO. It is going to cause issues in the future. Replace now with something else. My personal view would NOT necessarily be something that won't get large like a prunus or sorbus. But anything you like including potentially large specimens but plan to remove it when it before it gets too big...

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I meant what's the issue with large species trees close to properties? Urban tree loss, particularly of large trees, continues only to be replaced by small ornamental species.

Ben put it better than I could.

My answer to you would be, there's close...and then there's CLOSE.

I think Gary was challenging your opinion that the tree is TOO close to the house.

That question will always depend on who you ask, and the owners opinions towards trees.

People hate trees.

Trees are great however without the burden of fallen leaves and fruits, when they don't cause unwanted shade, provide roosts for birds that foul cars and washing etc etc I.e other people's trees. I'm amazed at the number of people who move into good neighbourhoods because it's 'green' then fell everything around the property because of their intolerance to tasks such as cleaning gutters and raking leaves.

I'm in a cynical mood today btw

People hate trees.

Trees are great however without the burden of fallen leaves and fruits, when they don't cause unwanted shade, provide roosts for birds that foul cars and washing etc etc I.e other people's trees. I'm amazed at the number of people who move into good neighbourhoods because it's 'green' then fell everything around the property because of their intolerance to tasks such as cleaning gutters and raking leaves.

I'm in a cynical mood today btw

For the most part this is true. Really refreshing to meet a client who loves trees, rarer still the ones who are proactive rather than waiting till a tree is far do big and asking you to cut it in half.

If it were my house I'd fell it though :biggrin:

I disagree Gary, to a certain extent! (We all know the "I hate raking leaves brigade")

People love trees, what they don't like is damage to their property and a man from the council talking down to them, and preventing them from protecting the property.

When I've time (and the inclination) I'll tell you about my change in attitudes since moving to a place with no TOs no TPOs and a completely free hand to fell and plant what one pleases.

But I'm knackered and I've just opened a bottle of wine.:001_smile:

People hate trees.

Some do. Some don't. But in our business we are likely to come across the haters..

Urban tree loss, particularly of large trees, continues only to be replaced by small ornamental species.

True but, this is often NOT helped by over protective Tree Officers in my opinion.. If that tree was not protected and a client asked my advice it would be fell and replant, but not with necessarily with a poxy ornamental.. An oak or cedar would be great there for 40 years. Then fell and start again, if you are really smart you might even get something in 10 years before you fell it. Urban trees don't need to and often should not be grown to maturity IMO..

Good TO's understand tree management, less good ones are in the 'keep everything' team.

Unfortunately the difficulties in securing replacement planting, of larger species, that becomes established can be so difficult I can understand their views too.

I often try to encourage large species for short term planting (30-40 yrs), people spend a fortune on annual bedding plants for a few months of colour every year. Balance that against trees over a longer term and the costs aren't excessive for the benefits.