Unclogging a saw jammed by PPE?

I do . How can using a top handle on the ground be more dangerous than using it up a tree ?

top handle are designed for work in the tree/climbing it's not just best practice yes afag guidance tells us this but complacency of using it single handed on the ground may be done and also the stance of the operator in a kick back situation would be different. yes ofcourse using it off ground is dangerous but once off the ground the situation of the climber makes a good climber more aware of danger on the ground you could be more complacent

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Instead of ripping into the trousers whay not offer them up to a casual / home user who maybe cannot justify (cost wise) buying the correct PPE. Maybe well used but better than a pair of denims and a tee shirt?

You could turn that around and ask yourself how you can justify using the saw without the PPE

A pair of chainsaw pants is cheap compared to getting your body fixed.

top handle are designed for work in the tree/climbing it's not just best practice yes afag guidance tells us this but complacency of using it single handed on the ground may be done and also the stance of the operator in a kick back situation would be different. yes ofcourse using it off ground is dangerous but once off the ground the situation of the climber makes a good climber more aware of danger on the ground you could be more complacent

Well I have never been bitten and if its convenient to use my topper on the ground I will . At nearly 62 years of age I think I have enough comon sence to not be complacent with any saw . ......Send me to prison !

ok fair enough but for employers trying to jump through every best practice fisa and afag I would not want to see one of my employees doing this. Each to his own indeed my father in law chainsaws without a helmet he has done for years the liability lies with him or you. but in an employed situation surely you can see my point.

ok fair enough but for employers trying to jump through every best practice fisa and afag I would not want to see one of my employees doing this. Each to his own indeed my father in law chainsaws without a helmet he has done for years the liability lies with him or you. but in an employed situation surely you can see my point.

Yes I can see your point . Sorry did not mean to come over all chunky :biggrin:

Getting back on topic, couldn't there be a danger of enough fibres getting stuck between sprocket and chain to effectively over-tension the chain and do damage somewhere (e.g. bearings or shaft)?

You could turn that around and ask yourself how you can justify using the saw without the PPE

A pair of chainsaw pants is cheap compared to getting your body fixed.

Think Lazurus was saying that instead of the OP shredding a pair of trousers why not pass them on to an occasional user rather them being at risk of injury through not having ppe.

Think Lazurus was saying that instead of the OP shredding a pair of trousers why not pass them on to an occasional user rather them being at risk of injury through not having ppe.

Why would anyone want some used PPE?

Unless it looked in perfect condition and you knew and trusted the user I wouldnt bother buying second hand.

In regards to OP, skyhuck has answered the question:thumbup1: