So you want to be a freelance climber do you?

Adam Bourne

Ime no exception in having a dodgy back. There was talk a few pages ago about overstretching - this i always avoid because everytime my back goes its because ive overstretched.

If ime short handed and have to help on the job with some heavy humping i put on my weightlifters belt to keep my spine in place.

Certainly a major contribution to my tennis elbow.

I'm swinging nowt without getting paid for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Tabata is the name of the workout. You could do anything as long as you follow the rules and times. Sprints, hitting a heavy bag, tuck jumps, press ups, bench press anything...

Edit: 20 seconds of drinking Stella and 10 second break will not get you fit. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Think I read this the first time around, but good to read it again. 

Did a couple of stints in the mid nineties when there was a lot fewer free-lancers and tree co's. Not an easy life and the equipment available to make life easier hadn't been invented.

Would I do it again if I was twenty something? Without a doubt :D (I'd just charge more) Looking back the only thing I regret is not getting better educated earlier but when you're twenty; thirty, forty and fifty is literally a lifetime away.

Thanks for a good read Adam

• Like 2

brad? he's probably sat drowning his sorrows wondering how he screwed everything up so bad to end up as a subby climber, busting a nut for years and naff all to show for it apart from lots of climbing gear, a dodgy hip and rusting pickup with a cracked windscreen - trying to plot a way out of the mess he's got himself into but the thought of doing something other than tree work or idea of building up a company himself - dealing with customers?  dealing with employees? - those kinds of thoughts got brad chucking the back his beer and reaching for the scotch and checking his diary is booked up enough over the winter season to pay the rent.  myself? after the last 8 years of a 15 year tree life being a self employed subby?  at 35? i'll keep being a rockstar for a  just a little bit longer (but not too much longer...) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 28 May 2015 at 20:21, Mark Bolam said:

Superb post Adam.

You forgot to mention that freelancers don't get called in for easy stuff.

Grafting in big trees takes it's toll physically.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

weeks on end of everyones big stuff when you feel ill,its cold wet,or just damn right nasty you have to do it and it does try to get the better of you ,but we live to fight another day!!!1