So you want to be a freelance climber do you?

Adam Bourne

Presumably you feel employed climbers are in the same boat? So you see running your own firm is the only option??

I've not been employed since I was 19, I like self-employment.(well I guess I'm technically employed now by my limited Co, but you know what I mean :001_smile:)

I had an interesting discussion with a customer this week regarding age, he's 72, just been treated for very aggressive prostate cancer, he's never stopped and is greatly saddened to see all his contemporaries adopt your attitude towards life and getting older, they mostly eat and drink to much, do to little and then blame the failure of their bodies on age, its ridiculous.

There is no reason why a freelance climber cannot make a good living and they can also diversify into other work not just climbing, its a very real career choice IMO and one I sometimes wonder if I should have stuck with.

My attitude to life and getting older?

You mean that I believe that as we age our physical powers diminish? And that wear and tear over time reduces our abilities to do easily what we could when younger?That's not an attitude, that's fact.

Your bizarre denial of the obvious is reminiscent of those religions that won't go to doctors because they believe the body will heal itself through prayer.

My attitude to life and getting older?

You mean that I believe that as we age our physical powers diminish? And that wear and tear over time reduces our abilities to do easily what we could when younger?That's not an attitude, that's fact.

Your bizarre denial of the obvious is reminiscent of those religions that won't go to doctors because they believe the body will heal itself through prayer.

If you were talking about people in their 60's I would maybe agree to some extent, but 40's is just ridicules, I know plenty of climber who quit before 40 :confused1:

There are professional footballers in their 40's.

The thing is IME the people who say "I'm getting to old for this lark" are unhealthy, they over eat (usually the wrong food) over drink (alcohol is basically poison) and generally don't take good care of themselves.

Many people treat the bodies with contempt, as you age I agree that your body will not cope as well with a abuse, plus years of abuse catch up with you.

I'm fortunate to have been surrounded by a great many very active, very fit and healthy older people, I chose like them not to accept the myth that you body falls apart once you hit 45.

As for your analogy :lol:

That is a very well written and thought out post Adam.

It will give people a good insight in to both sides of the job.

I personally would not change being self employed I find it hard graft but can say I enjoy what I do.

Good post Adam. Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Quite often the grass is greener. But the reality is often different.

I did a wee bit of freelance climbing when I started out but it was always leading to having my own firm. How ever good you are as a subby there is a definite limit on your earnings whereas as a contractor you can keep expanding. That said the headaches of being a subby are nothing compared with running a few squads.

So its horses for courses. Being a subby could be the best thing for you but it might not be. .....

If you were talking about people in their 60's I would maybe agree to some extent, but 40's is just ridicules, I know plenty of climber who quit before 40 :confused1:

The thing is IME the people who say "I'm getting to old for this lark" are unhealthy, they over eat (usually the wrong food) over drink (alcohol is basically poison) and generally don't take good care of themselves.

Many people treat the bodies with contempt, as you age I agree that your body will not cope as well with a abuse, plus years of abuse catch up with you.

I'm fortunate to have been surrounded by a great many very active, very fit and healthy older people, I chose like them not to accept the myth that you body falls apart once you hit 45.

Well put Huck.

I'm 50 in a few weeks. I climb 3 or 4 times a week. Did my rigging course earlier this year and am finding that it really helps to conserve energy. The other climber in our team is younger, and faster but has a different style and approach. We are finding that our different styles and approaches to climbing and working are complementing each other and really paying off.

For example he can process a large crown reduction much quicker than me yet I took on a monkey puzzle dismantle that he was struggling with.

As a 1st and 2nd climber combo we are learning to work smarter, not harder thereby ensuring that we are preserving ourselves and working to our respective strengths.

Providing my health and fitness don't evaporate over night I reckon I've got 10 years (enjoyable, productive) climbing in the tank. :)

So any footballer over 40 not still playing is an overeating unmotivated pisshead?

Twisting your words?

Anyway I've heard your pseudo scientific quackery about this before. it's laughable.

So any footballer over 40 not still playing is an overeating unmotivated pisshead?

Twisting your words?

Anyway I've heard your pseudo scientific quackery about this before. it's laughable.

How do you account for the likes of me then? :)